Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make Assignee field non editable

Madineni February 18, 2021

In one of our projects, there is a requirement to not edit filed by the user of the JSM cloud.

Assignee value should get from the custom field and based on the status of the workflow.

For this I just removed Assignee field from the Edit Screen of the corresponding issue type. But still the Assignee field is editable in the ticket. I'm missing something here.

Did anyone tried this before? I need to do it without any Add-on in our cloud instance.

Thanks.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

@Madineni

I would change the permissions for your project so that no one has permission to edit the assignee field except for the user Automation for Jira. You'll need to update the "assign issues" permission.  Then use an automation rule to set the assignee when it enters the desired status.

Hi @Kian Stack Mumo Systems

Thanks for the update.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2021

There is a permission setting:

Assign Issues
Ability to assign issues to other people.

It allows you to manage who can assgn an issue. If you want to restrict who can do this, it is the way to go.

Hi @Carmen Nadeau ,

Thanks for the update, it works. But the think, this functionality is required only for one issue type available in the project. That I'm not able to implement it.

This works for an entire project and all issues in the project. 

Asim K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2021

If you want to apply this to only one (or selective) issue types, then you can use the workflow properties on the statuses on which you want to make the assignee field uneditable. You can use the following property.

jira.permission.assign.projectrole -> value=<project-role-ID> (To only allow the users in the particular role to change assignee)

OR

jira.permission.assign.denied (To disable for everyone)

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 12.53.37 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-15 at 12.56.11 am.png

Ref: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-workflow-properties 

Marie-Hélène PARISATO July 27, 2023

Bonjour, la solution que vous donnez fera qu'aucun des champs du ticket ne sera modifiable , non ? Comment vous faites pour faire en sorte que juste un certain champs n'est pas modifiable ? 

Hello, the solution you give will do that no fields will be editable, right ? How do you do so that only one specific field shouldn't be editable ? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events