Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I categorize issues by type?

Fernanda Luksic April 13, 2021

Hi, 

Basically we have a board that takes care of all customer issues. What I want is to be able to categorize them based on feature or problem. Just to understand where we need to focus and  how many issues we have in a particular category. 

Please help! 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

@Fernanda Luksic 

There are lots of different ways you can set up categories. 

You can setup Request Types that fall into specific categories or you can use components to assign a category.  

It would be helpful to better understand how issues are coming in and what types of categories need to be assigned and how they might be identified.   Not knowing any of that I would suggest looking at components on the project.  Components are specific to the project and you could have categories that could be added at the time the issue is created as a hidden field on the request type or manually by the agent as they triage the request.

Fernanda Luksic April 16, 2021

Thank you Brant for the answer. I did look at components. To make the situation a bit more specific. There is a board that we use to get all Customer tickets basically. I want to use something to categorize them and this way I can understand where the majority of our issues lie. 

If components is a good method is there a way to do subcategories inside a component? If not how would I go about this? 

Thank you and hope that it is clearer. 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

@Fernanda Luksic It is a little more clear.  If you would like something like a that you can always create a custom field and add it to the issues.

That would work for the subcategories? 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

@Fernanda Luksic You can create a select list (cascading) where you could structure it like:

Category 1

• Sub Category 1
  • Sub Category 2
  • Sub Category 3

Category 2

• Sub Category 4
  • Sub Category 5
  • Sub Category 6
Like Fernanda Luksic likes this

Just so I understand you. Sorry. 

I can create custom fields that have the structure that you mentioned above? Or can i create components that have subcomponents? 

Let me know ! 

Thank you! 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

Components do not have sub components so if you wanted to have some sort of structure in the application you would need to do the custom field.  

Custom Field Solution - Create a Select List (Cascading)

Category 1

• Sub Category 1
  • Sub Category 2
  • Sub Category 3

Category 2

• Sub Category 4
  • Sub Category 5
  • Sub Category 6

Component Solution

Thinking about it you could use components and just label them with the parent name in the name of the component.  The only issue is there is no structure and individuals could add multiple components to a single issue.  Below is a list of components and what it might look like.

Parent Component 1

Parent Component 2

Parent Component 1 - Sub Component 1

Parent Component 1 - Sub Component 2

Parent Component 2 - Sub Component 3

Parent Component 2 - Sub Component 4

Parent Component 1 - Sub Component 5

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events