cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Auto-Assign an issue to group

Mohamed Eltayeb December 22, 2014

Hi , 

How to configure auto assign for Group based on Issue type for example : 

If the issue type is ITSupport  , I got group called ITSupport ( Include 6 users ) 

once customer create an issue related to ITSupport issue Type it should be auto assgin to this group and group notified by emails 

How to achieve this 

Please advise 

3 answers

4 votes
Nik Terril
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 8, 2015

I find this a major weakness in this application by not allowing such functionality, especially as it has a "Service Desk" function now. Lets face it, most big companies these days strive to base their processes around ITIL methodology, the last 3 I have been involved with have anyway (3000 employees, 73000 and 300).

This is the first time I have come across JIRA and as a Service Desk Manager find it quite limiting. While I understand this tool is fundamentally based around Agile PM, Service Desk functionality is very cumbersome and limiting.

I know it is only in its early stages, I just hope this gets addressed as automating process for standard changes and incidents etc should be standard in almost any service desk product.

Why is it important?

If I have a standardised task which does not change and follows the same path of implementation every time, I should be able to use a workflow to automate that entire process. Tasks we have should auto generate upon specific status changes the assignment or closure of other tickets.
Assigning to multiple "assignees" is wasteful and creates too many overheads around future administration. ie. if one person leaves, you now have to update that list. If it was a group, then you have nothing to do whatsoever except update the group.

The only solution for this is to allow the assignment of issues to groups.

Now, we have to manually create every single ticket. Wasting my technical resources time that could be better spent on improving processes.

1 vote
Rodolfo December 29, 2014

I don't recommend using this approach as you loose visibility on who in particular is working on an issue and takes away the sense of ownership that the "Assignee" field provides. Having said that, if you still need to implement this process, this is how I would recommend you to do it:

1. Create a Distribution List in your ActiveDirectory (LDAP) containing the members of the people who you want to be notified.
  2. Create a user for this Distribution List in JIRA. Setup the email address to the one previously created in step 1.
  3. Assign tickets to this new user.

Another approach is to use filters and subscriptions to notify a group in JIRA. For this scenario, you will proceed as follow:

1. Create a filter for the issues you want to notify the group. This could be something like "Issues created in the last hour and not being assigned to anyone".
  2. Create a subscription for the filter to notify the group. This filter can be scheduled to run with certain frequency based on your particular needs.

1 vote
RVal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2014

As far as I know issue can not be assigned to a group but only to a person. That can be done in PostProcessing of your JIRA project workflow. Notification can be configured in JIRA project notification schema.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events