How Customize Email Notififcation base on Issue type?

Shah Baloch July 9, 2021

I created a new issue type "Email" and set up the mail handler. When a customers report an issue via email, it'll create a ticket using the "Email" issue type. Since reporters have accounts and they get emails from Jira about issue creation. I would like to have customized email notification. for example:

"Hi Reporter,
Thank you for reporting the issue, your ticket number is XYZ-250. We'll get back to you as soon as possible".

How can I make it work just for one issue type. That service desk has other issue types, we just want to use a different issue type for emails for tracking purposes.

Thanks

4 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2021

Hi @Shah Baloch

using Script Runner I would suggest you edit the existing workflow, there especially the "Create" transition and put a new post function "Send a custom email" in it.

Under "Condition and Configuration" can you narrow it down to a specific issue type.
After that you need to type in something for the "Email" and "Subject" template - basically the info you want the reporter to get back after they create an issue.

Something like:
Email template:
"Request $issue.issueType.name $issue.key created with success."
Subject template:
"Request $issue created"

Be sure to select "Reporter" in "To issue fields".

All other settings according to your requirements if any.

When saved and the workflow was published your Reporter will get an email when raising a request of defined issue type according to the settings in post function.

Regards,
Daniel

Shah Baloch July 16, 2021

Thank you I can give it a shot. Will the user still get the actual notification with issue details? I mean whenever users create an issue Jira will send them an issue-created notification. How I can stop that actual notification so the user can the custom email?

Thanks

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2021

If I understand you right and assuming this is a Jira Service Management project you would have to adjust the Customer Notifications:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicemanagementserver/managing-service-project-notifications-939926348.html

However, this would affect all Issue Types.

For a Jira Software/Core project you would have to inspect the Notification Scheme:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicemanagementserver/managing-service-project-notifications-939926348.html

The content of the email sent through post function in workflow can be adapted and adjusted according to your needs. Directly on the configuration page you can see an example for some variables you can use there.

0 votes
SWAPNIL SRIVASTAV July 11, 2021

Hello @Shah Baloch ,

This can be done via plugins- "Script Runner for JIRA" and "Jira Workflow Toolbox". 

Shah Baloch July 12, 2021

I already have Script Runner installed. How I can make it work? Thanks

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2021

We support this type of configuration in Notification Assistant for Jira

0 votes
JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2021

Hi Shah,

Unfortunately there's no simple way with out of the box functionality to change how email works. It's either on or off.

If you have other marketplace apps, then you may be in luck. Firstly, there are dedicated email apps which are fairly easy to use - Email This Issue, Jira Enterprise Mail Handler, are the two biggest ones. They allow you to tailor emails however you like as that's their primary purpose.

If you don't have a dedicate mail app, many instances have ScriptRunner (or any scripting tool) or Automation for Jira for other purposes. These tools can be set up to respond to events, such as issue creation of a particular issue type, to send a customised email.

Hope that helps,
- Jimmy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events