Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling intake when users have multiple mail aliases

Matt Harford February 2, 2021

I'm wondering if anyone has any experiencing managing users with multiple email addresses assigned? Each of our users has (or may have) a userid-based email, ie jmiller@uwaterloo.ca, but also, an alias, ie John.miller@uwaterloo.ca. 

This causes a problem for us because when people log into the portal, we use their userid@uwaterloo.ca - and so the ticket get's opened under jmiller@uwaterloo.ca

Then, when they reply to the email message to continue communication, it comes from John.miller@uwaterloo.ca, which ends up opening a new request. 

Is there any way to handle this automatically? I can't find any other mention of it, but we can't be the only organization that has this problem.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Benjamin Paton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2021

Hey Matt,

Currently this is not possible short of having multiple free customer accounts for a user.

It is something we are evaluating, and are keen to learn more about how this is impacting your organisation.

Would you mind voting and sharing your feedback here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-240

Thanks,

Ben.

Matt Harford February 4, 2021

Thanks Ben, I will vote and share my feedback right away. Can you expand more on using multiple free customer accounts and how we could use this to eliminate the duplicate ticket problem?

Cheers,

Matt 

Benjamin Paton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2021

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

For multiple accounts, it is not a great solution, but If you have customer accounts for each alias a user emails you with, and those accounts are a part of the same organisation, and automatic organisation sharing is enabled, you should be able to avoid duplicates.

But I can certainly appreciate this is a lot of administrative overhead.

Matt Harford February 12, 2021

Thanks Ben,

We may end up doing this as this may be better than the alternative of constant duplicates. This is very helpful, thank you for sharing the above. Hopefully there is some action on ID-240 soon. 

-Matt 

Matt Harford March 9, 2021

@Benjamin Paton So we tried to set this up recently - but there is the side effect of all tickets then being fully visible to all others within the "organization". Is there a way to configure this so organization sharing is enabled, but visibility into issues is not?

Thanks,

Matt

Benjamin Paton
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2021

Can you help me understand what sharing capability you would want, while denying visibility?

Matt Harford March 18, 2021

Hi Ben, we are just trying to allow people to "update" requests from an alias email address without it creating a duplicate ticket. 

While what you suggested above does work, but it also allows everyone within the organization to have full visibility into every single ticket. 

If it's possible to allow organization sharing with just the ability to update the request, but not to see any ticket details, that would actually work perfectly for us.

Thanks, 

Matt

Josh Mohan March 26, 2021

Hello @Matt Harford  and @Benjamin Paton  , would you mind letting me know where this 'automatic organization sharing' is located? I believe this will solve a similar issue in my organization, but I'm struggling to find it in the permissions list / settings.

mararn1618 _secretbakery.io_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 26, 2021

Sorry Josh, I have no idea either.

Benjamin Paton
Atlassian Team
March 28, 2021

Hey @Matt Harford

It might make more sense at this point to have a chat about your scenario. 

If you are open to it, please book a slot in my calendar

Cheers, 

Ben.

Josh Mohan March 29, 2021

Thanks Ben! Put some time in your calendar later today.

3 votes
Garrett Pennell June 29, 2021

You are not the only organization that has this problem. It's a major annoyance for us as well. We try to explain to submitters that they should try to use the same email address from which they normally reply, but that is not something most users really have an awareness of. Plus, they have different aliases configured from different email clients.

My suggested solution is for there to be a feature in Jira Service Management that allows me to add alias email addresses to an end users' profile. That way when emails come in, JSM understands that they're from the same person. Or, better yet, connecting to Google Workspace could do that for me, maybe.

Thank you, Atlassian team, for your time and attention.

2 votes
Michal Wendrowski July 18, 2021

We also have this issue and would very much appreciate a solution.

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 19, 2021

Hey @Michal Wendrowski , don't know if you have seen it – the app Duplicate AI will automatically display those falsely created new tickets and let you merge them with one click.

Disclaimer: I'm the app owner. 😉

Visual-Prototype-Similarity-Score-Merge-Presets-SMALLER

1 vote
Marketplace Partner
March 18, 2021

Hey @Matt Harford , I'm an app developer and actively working on this topic right now. Would you be interested in bouncing off some ideas and getting your hands on the early prototype?

Let me know, I'm always happy to share.

Matt Harford March 18, 2021

Absolutely! Would love to participate in this! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events