• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Handling intake when users have multiple mail aliases

I'm wondering if anyone has any experiencing managing users with multiple email addresses assigned? Each of our users has (or may have) a userid-based email, ie jmiller@uwaterloo.ca, but also, an alias, ie John.miller@uwaterloo.ca. 

This causes a problem for us because when people log into the portal, we use their userid@uwaterloo.ca - and so the ticket get's opened under jmiller@uwaterloo.ca

Then, when they reply to the email message to continue communication, it comes from John.miller@uwaterloo.ca, which ends up opening a new request. 

Is there any way to handle this automatically? I can't find any other mention of it, but we can't be the only organization that has this problem.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hey Matt,

Currently this is not possible short of having multiple free customer accounts for a user.

It is something we are evaluating, and are keen to learn more about how this is impacting your organisation.

Would you mind voting and sharing your feedback here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-240

Thanks,

Ben.

Thanks Ben, I will vote and share my feedback right away. Can you expand more on using multiple free customer accounts and how we could use this to eliminate the duplicate ticket problem?

Cheers,

Matt 

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

For multiple accounts, it is not a great solution, but If you have customer accounts for each alias a user emails you with, and those accounts are a part of the same organisation, and automatic organisation sharing is enabled, you should be able to avoid duplicates.

But I can certainly appreciate this is a lot of administrative overhead.

Thanks Ben,

We may end up doing this as this may be better than the alternative of constant duplicates. This is very helpful, thank you for sharing the above. Hopefully there is some action on ID-240 soon. 

-Matt 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

170 views 0 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you