Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP !! - Sub Task creation for another task

Ollie Moseley June 1, 2022

Hi all 

this is probably really simple but its driving me mad!

I have a Sub Task that i need to use as a trigger to create another sub task that sits under a different task but i cant get the automation logic right to "find" the other task.

example - 

• Task 1 - Development
  • Sub Task 1 - Dev Check - transitions from In Progress to Done
  • Task 2 - Testing 
  • Sub Task 2 - start plan - this is created at the point of transition of sub task 1

any help would be really appreciated

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What logic do you have for finding the issue you want sub-task 2 under?  Or, to phrase it differently, how are you identifying what Task 2 is?

Ollie Moseley June 6, 2022

Hi Nic, 

Thanks for the welcome,

That's where i am having the trouble, i cant work out the logic to "find" Task 2, which seems so simple.

I am using the Summary with a condition where it contains "- Testing" as the identifier for Task 2 but like i say, i cant work out how to build the rule that states when an issue moves from in progress to done, if "- Testing" and then create the subtask

have only been working with the automation for a week or so any tips would be really handy?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

Ok, in the automations, you've got four types of block you can use - triggers, branches, actions and conditions.  I think you should be making use of a condition that looks at the summary field, either with JQL to see if it matches, or directly with a "contains" type statement.

Ollie Moseley June 10, 2022

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I have used the trigger - Transition from "In Progress" -> "Done"

and the summary contains "In Design"

Branch to Epic Parent

if the summary contains "- Testing"

Create sub task

but it still fails at the branch for Epic Parent

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2022

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with "branch to epic parent"?

Ollie Moseley June 13, 2022

Hi Nic

So my understanding to the Epic Parent is that it will find the Epic Parent of the current issue.

My thinking was that as the Subtask "- Design Solution" has been transitioned to Done the rule would look for the Epic and then look for a Summary called "-Testing" and create a sub task.

image.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events