Guidance for Product categorization and Operational categorization fields in JSD

Brian Mertens July 24, 2019

My organization is getting ready to install Jira Service Desk (replacing another "ticketing system").  I am seeking guidance and real-life examples of how others are using the Product categorization and Operational categorization cascading fields.

I am not an ITSM or ITIL expert but I've been researching best practices for incident (and [service] request) categorization.  Here are some of the resources that I found helpful:

So how is YOUR organization using these categorization fields?  If you could start over (or do a major overhaul on the existing values), what would you do?

Note: I know how to add categorization values to these fields and create request types and the other Jira admin-type functions.  I'm seeking guidance on which values to use in each field.

Note 2: I recognize that the actual values in these fields depend on many factors.  The challenge is taking the categorization concepts and coming up with useful values.  At this point, I feel like it would be most valuable to see actual value lists that others are using.  But I'm open to other input as well.  Thanks!

3 comments

Lindsay Siurna September 24, 2019

Hi Brian, 

I am currently in the same position as you.  Thank you for the resources.  Did you ever hear back from anyone with how they are doing it in the real world?

Thanks,
Lindsay

Brian Mertens October 22, 2019

Hi @Lindsay Siurna ,

I haven't received any responses.  However, this is our v1.0 list of Product Categorization values:

• Data
    • Data Service
    • Database
    • Extract Transform Load (ETL)
  • Documentation
    • Audit
    • Information
    • Knowledge Article
    • Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
    • Training
  • Hardware
    • Cell Phone
    • CPU
    • Desk phone
    • Desktop
    • Docking Station
    • Hard Drive
    • Headset
    • Keyboard
    • Laptop
    • Memory
    • Monitor
    • Mouse
    • Peripheral
    • Printer
    • Projector
    • Scanner
    • Server
    • Soft Phone
    • Surface Hub
    • Tablet
    • TV
    • Virtual Machine (VM)
    • VPN Phone
    • VTC
  • Infrastructure
    • Active Directory (AD)
    • Distributed File System (DFS)
    • DHCP
    • DNS
    • MFA
    • Permisson
    • Proxy
    • Resource Service
    • Shared Folder
    • Storage
  • Network
    • Circuit/ISP/WAN
    • Firewall
    • Load Balancer
    • Router
    • Switches
    • VPN
    • Wireless
  • Security
    • Account
    • Access
    • Badge
    • Permissions including Elevated Privileges
    • Storage
  • Software / Business Application
    • <list of apps/systems supported by our IT Service Desk>
  • Other

Our Operational Categorization field is not as well-defined right now but here is a draft:

• Type Of Request
    • Add/Create/Provision
    • Change/Modify/Extend
    • Configure
    • Copy
    • Delete/Remove/Terminate/Decommission
    • Disable
    • Enable
    • Execute
    • Move
    • Remove
    • Repair
    • Restore
  • Alert
    • Disk Space
    • Malicious Email
    • Malware
    • Symantec
  • Break / Fix / Error
    • Data Issue
    • Error Message
    • Exception
    • Outage
    • Password
    • Process Issue
    • Slowness
  • Communication
    • Call Drop
    • Call Quality
    • Certificate
    • Dead Air
    • SSL Disconnect
    • Static Call
    • Switch Reboot
  • People Management
    • Contract to Employee
    • Department Change
    • Leave of Absence
    • Location Change
    • Manager Change
    • Multiple Changes
    • Name Change
    • Offboard
    • Onboard
    • Personal Info Update
    • Role Change
    • Security Group Change
    • Title Change
  • Other

We are open to feedback so let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Brian

Like # people like this
Lindsay Siurna November 8, 2019

Thanks for sharing Brian.  It looks similar to what we were thinking.  How is it working for you?

Brian Mertens March 2, 2020

@Lindsay Siurna The categorization fields seem to be working well for us so far.  We went live with Service Desk in late December so we've only been using them for a little over 2 months. 

Neither field is required but the Product Categorization has a nearly 100% use rate.  Operational Categorization has a value on about 50% of our tickets; and values are configured for several of our Request Types so it seems the use would be less than 50%.

The level of granularity seems to OK right now but I suspect we'll need to revisit and make adjustments later on.  These fields are primarily for reporting and analysis purposes so we'll have to wait and see what the data reveals at a later date. 

Unfortunately my responsibilities have shifted so I'm not as close to the data right now, so I can't give you a better answer than that.  But hopefully it was helpful!

Like # people like this
Shubham Burghate September 24, 2021

Hello Brian,

Can you help me to solve the problem statement which i have raised in community 

Here is link:

Community Discussion Link 

Regards,

Shubham

craig orde January 4, 2023

My recommendation is change the name Product Categorisation to Service Categorisation. 

BTW ITIL does not prescribe anything the business needs to decide what works for them.

Sounds like a good opportunity for you to clean up the legacy categories (get rid of) and check with the business managers/directors for new requirements. Once the list is compiled review again with the Managers/Directors before configuring so that the tool is fit for purpose when you go-live (if not already).

You may also consider categorising based on the team/group team

e.g. Cyber Security: - white list/black list, firewall, policy etc.

Then continue to make changes as you evolve into the ITSM world. 

Kisaruni Hofmann Ndosi October 20, 2023

This is gold! Thank you!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events