Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Automations - 'no actions performed'

Matthew Campo November 12, 2020

Hello, 

I have recently enabled the new JSM global automations across my customer service desk projects. 

These automations work with this basic functionality: When I have a issue request that it in a status that is pending the customer's input, when they comment back it should transition the issue back into an in progress status on my agent team.

Prior to this, I used the legacy automations to accomplish the same task with no issue (other than it had to be managed per JSD project)

What I am noticing, is that in less than 10 business days I have exhausted my automation executions limit, when I check on the audit log, all log entries say "no actions performed"

My question is 2-fold:

1) How can I limit the "no actions performed" result if my conditions and parameters for Global Automation are the exact same as my legacy automations

2) Why would a "no actions performed" result consume my automation count if its not doing anything anyway?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2020

Hi @Matthew Campo , 

the usage for Automation is not calculated on the action performed, but on the trigger.

So this means that even if no action was performed on your rule, every time it was triggered will count towards your usage. See this page on Atlassian documentation : https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/how-is-my-usage-calculated/

It clearly states : 

What is a rule execution?

Any time an event fires as a result of an automation rule you have enabled, it will count as a rule execution.

For example, if you have created a rule that fires whenever an issue transitions to Done, this will count as a rule execution. Even if the rule does not perform an action, as long as it has been triggered, it is considered an execution.

I would suggest copying the rule on your Jira Service Management project and making it a single project rule, as these don't have limits.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Matthew Campo November 14, 2020

Thank you. I will look into limiting triggers on any global automations and moving frequently triggered automations back to project level. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events