Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting broken link for Sign up email notifications

Wendy Sachen March 22, 2021

When users are Signing up to use our Jira Service Management .  The link button that is provided in the notification to "finish signing up" take use to a page with error message broken link.  Does anyone know how to fixe this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2021

Hello @Wendy Sachen,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Just to make sure that we are on the same page, I would like to confirm if you are talking about the notification when a customer wants to create an account on the portal or when a user wants to create an account on the site (licensed agent).

I tested on my local site and I believe it’s related to the customer portal, but I wasn’t able to replicate the issue:

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 13.27.00.png

Is it happening to all new customers?

Can you ask them to test using incognito mode?

Is it happening if you invite them to the portal instead of them creating the account?

Kind regards,
Angélica

Wendy Sachen March 23, 2021

Angélica - Is is happening to all new.  We have tried both ways via the portal and an invite.  If we paste the link to an incognito window we still get the broken link.  This is the hyperlink attached to the email. 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2021

Thank you for the details, Wendy.

Are they all using the same email provider? 

Some email providers may modify the URL and cause a broken link. 

Can you please check if the link looks like the one below? 

https://xxxxxxx.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/user/complete-signup?jwt=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJxc2giOiJjYzczNjQ0YTcwMTJlYWIyYjgzZTEwNWZmZDVjZWJ…
Wendy Sachen March 24, 2021

Progress and findings.  I am a rookie with Atlassian administration, I do appreciate your patience. I am also picking up were someone else left off with many unknowns that I am uncovering. 

Findings: When the  Jira Service Management (JSM) permissions (from Administrator Page > User Management, for our Domain), looks like customers were added here, 'Has access on site' Role is a 'Basic' User, with no projects (all toggled to never use).  The same user was added to the Customer project within Jira Service Management > Projects > theProject > Settings > Customers.  These users are the ones getting the broken link. 

If remove the customer from the Administrator > Users database, (which also deleted them from the Project unfortunately), Add Customer, which resends the register email  request, the user can now register successfully.  

My first test was temporarily giving that customer Jira Service Management permissions to the Jira Service Management project, she was then able to register and open a ticket; that is how I knew it was a config issue. 

Do you concur that customers should only be Customer's for JSM project and not part of the Atlassian User Group; Atlassian Users is for Agents and Admins?

My plan is to clean up the Atlassian Users table (remove the customers) and add them directly to the JSM Project as Customers which will send out the email notification to register.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 24, 2021

Thank you for sharing, Wendy.

When the same person with the same email address is added both as a customer and as a user, it can cause issues, including issues with portal access and permissions to view tickets because they are treated at the same time as customer and user. To be honest, I wasn’t aware that having the duplicated account would cause issues with the invitation. Thank you again for sharing this information.

There is no problem to let a customer under Users. They will be listed with internal users, but if they don’t have access to products, once they log in, they will be redirected to the portal, because they don’t have a license to access Jira. Also, instead of logging in to the portal, they will log in as a user because they have an Atlassian account, but again, since they are not licensed, they will be redirected to the portal.

Do you concur that customers should only be Customer's for JSM project and not part of the Atlassian User Group; Atlassian Users is for Agents and Admins?

Yes, the best option to manage customers is by adding them directly to the project and they will be listed on User management > Jira Service Management. 

Now, since they have duplicated accounts, you need to delete them from User management > Users and then just make sure that on Jira Service Management they are set as active. 

If in the future you need one of the customers to be an internal user, you don’t need to invite them, just go to Jira Service Management and click on “Migrate to Atlassian account”. This step will automatically convert the account to an internal user and all their work will be migrated to the “new” account as well.

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 17.01.12.png

If there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

Like Wendy Sachen likes this
Wendy Sachen March 24, 2021

Thank you..  This is great help!  I will let you go ahead and suggest the new Answer since you provided it.  :)

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events