Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Zero to Sixty

Marc Deslauriers February 21, 2018

Hi all, 

I'm looking at implementing JSD for my company, currently evaluating both Cloud and Server editions.  The timeframe I am looking at to deploy to production is very tight, about 4 weeks.  When initially carrying out the selection process, I geared onto JSD because it advertises itself as having a much shorter deployment timeframe then competitors, and being a much simpler solution to implement. 

However, after knocking the demo versions around a bit, it seems this is quite a complicated endeavor, with a lot of manual configuration and learning through breaking and fixing to get this into usable shape.

What is the typical timeframe you have all experienced in a basic deployment (incident, problem, change aligned to ITIL), and basic service requests at the outset? 

If I'm looking to get running quickly, is another solution more suitable?

Thanks,
Marc

1 comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2018

Well that depends on a number of things but let me provide my $0.02. 

• It took me about 2 weeks but 1.5 weeks of that was due to importing issues from Spiceworks.
  • My instance was only for internal usage. IT initially, then I added Facilities, Staffing, Purchasing, etc. Each subsequent instance took me about 2-4hrs. Implementing for a lot of customer will take a bit more time but once you get one under your belt then adding more is straightforward.
  • It is relatively easy to get it up and running but you will most certainly spend a fair amount of time tweaking, improving over the next several weeks or longer. Just depends on how good of a job you do at understanding your requirements up front. Which isn't always easy.
  • I was well versed w/ JSW before I jumped into JSD so that certainly helped.
  • my advice - keep things as simple as possible and stand the solution up, use it for a month or so before making big changes. Often I see folks trying to make their complex processes fit into Jira only to later find that they could simply their processes where Jira is concerned. Prime example - workflows ... keep them simple wherever possible.
  • Use Jira to track all changes to Jira. Open an issue for a change consideration and implement when it is clear you need to.

Bottomline - 4 weeks should be more than enough unless you have a very large organization w/ many customers and different requirements.

Marc Deslauriers February 23, 2018

Jack, thanks much for your reply.  It's certainly appreciated.

You've highlighted my approach so far to keep processes and workflows as simple as possible.  I'm limited initial deployment to service IT Incident, Problem, and Change.  The out of box workflows for this may be a bit too bare, however, so that's where the tweaking is coming in.

Thanks again for sharing your insight.

Marc

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events