Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forwarding emails in to JSM

Simon Teppett November 10, 2020

Is there a way to allow Jira Service Management to receive emails that are being forwarded?

I want to make a company email account public-facing, and then forward all the emails received into Jira.

I have set up the email account as a customer user in JSM, and have raised tickets with that account (by email) but forwarded emails do not seem to create tickets.

Thanks for any help / suggestions

Simon

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2020

Hi @Simon Teppett 

When you say you have set up the email account as a customer, what do you mean?

If you're using JSM out of the box then you will need to set up the email to forward to the address that you have set up for emails.  

e.g. Support1@Company.com will need to forward to support2@company.com if that is the email listed in your email requests page.

If the above isn't clear, let me know and I'll see what I can do to clarify.

Thanks, Liam

Hi @Liam Green - thanks for the response.

The steps I took so far :

• I set an email address in JSM admin for email tickets - let's say email@XXX.atlassian.net
  • I created a new corporate email account - simon@XXX.com
  • I added simon@XXX.com as a customer for the JSD project
  • I tested that an email from simon@XXX.com sent to email@XXX.atlassian.net can create a JSM ticket

Everything works so far :-)

• I then set up a mail forwarding rule so that any email sent to simon@XXX.com is automatically forwarded to email@XXX.atlassian.net

At this point, nothing happens. I *think* that JSM may not accept forwarded emails? I was really asking if there is anything I can do at a config level to get around this.

Simon

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2020

Hi @Simon Teppett 

What does the log show for this?  If you're not sure where to find it, go to Email requests, the click 'view logs' for the relevant email address.

I think you might be right about auto-forwarded emails though.

I have found the below feature request, if you look at the 2019 update in the box it gives a suggestion on how to solve it:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-1924

Hopefully that will help

Hi @Liam Green 

Thanks for getting back to me.

The logs show that the messages were rejected. The log entry is 

"The message was rejected because it is auto-reply mail."

So I tried adding our email domain to the white-list (as per the 2019 update) thinking that might work as it is where the mail is being forwarded from.  Unfortunately, it now shows the message as originating from the 3rd party email (my Hotmail account) and I get the message :

"You don't have permission to access this service project."

So I am beginning to think I am on a hiding to nothing here. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events