Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter out subtasks whose parents are not in a certain status

Yuliia Zhyliaieva December 30, 2020

Hi!

I don't have a scriptrunner, and need to come up with a workaround.

Goal: understand how many story points are there in the Backlog for frontend tasks.

All tasks are labeled as FrontEnd or BackEnd etc.

Subtasks are estimated and labeled too.

I need to come up with a query that returns all frontend subtasks and tasks that have Sprint field empty, and that are in To Do status, and excludes subtasks whose parent are not in To Do status.

The last one is a pickle for me

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2020

Hi, @Yuliia Zhyliaieva !

I can recommend you an app JQL Search Extention,

that helps you with case, something like this:

parentStatus = "To Do" and labels in (FrontEnd,BackEnd) and Sprint is EMPTY 

Here you can see other usefull functions.

Feel free to contact!

Best regards, 

Alexander

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

Hi!

I don't have a scriptrunner, and need to come up with a workaround.

Ah okay, I, uhm, I.. I got nothing.

Do you by a chance have any other plugins adding JQL functions OR support groovy scripting OR provide the option to query the db (SQL)? Otherwise I'm afraid that if JQL won't do the trick here (due to no subquery option to get the subtasks whose parents are To Do), you would need to do this filtering outside Jira, remotely. As in download a .csv or a incur a REST request to download filter results first, then do filtering on that level to remove unwanted issues -- having to chain other REST requests verifying the data set -- effectively substituting that JQL subquery luxury. That's oof to do.

All of which on paper is totally painful and not exactly user-friendly. So if you'd have any other plugin that could help us out, that'd be a huge lifesaver.

You probably don't want to hear and neither have asked for this - but generally I would say that doing estimates on sub-tasks is not how Jira was really built nor works for very well. It's been a controversial topic for years, and while there may be valid use cases for doing it, Jira just will be limited funcitonality-wise, such as the reason for your question. I know that this is not what you asked for - which I'll be happy to help with if I'm able to - though just wanted to put this on the table also that estimating stories rather than sub-tasks is the de facto way to do sprint estimates for as long as I can remember. To quote Atlassian from hereif you estimate a sub-task, it would be an issue itself

Anyhow, please let me know if we can try focusing on any other plugin you have at your disposal, otherwise from my view we would have to go outside Jira to do this filtering - unless anybody else comes up with a better idea how to get the data.

Best regards,

Radek

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events