Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREEBSD

Daya Naidoo September 11, 2017

Could i kinldy request Atlassian"s view on the use of FREEBSD as the OS for JIRA Service Desk.

Sincerely appreciated

1 answer

1 vote
David Di Blasio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2017

As long as the OS runs a supported version of Java it shouldn't be a problem at all :). Just searching around a little bit I found the following article from FreeBSD that describes a way to install Oracle Java on this platform.

https://www.freebsd.org/java/

Cheers!

Daya Naidoo September 11, 2017

Thanks,

1. Would Atlassian support a customer running FreeBsd?
  2. If we do run the correct version of Java, would you recommend we stay on FreeBsd for the long term?
  3. Are there any reported major destructive issues reported when running FreeBsd.

Thanks again

David Di Blasio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2017

Hi Daya,
Allow me to answer inline for clarity:

Would Atlassian support a customer running FreeBsd?

Really unless the OS itself is part of the problem support should be able to assist with application related issues you might encounter. We have the following notes in our supported platforms on this subject:

JIRA is a pure Java-based application and should run on any supported operating system, provided that the JDK / JRE requirements are satisfied.

Here's a link to this page for reference:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver075/supported-platforms-935390828.html

If we do run the correct version of Java, would you recommend we stay on FreeBsd for the long term?

I think this really comes down to organizational preference and experience. We have plenty of customers running on various OS's with good success so as long as the application is performing acceptibly it should be fine.

Are there any reported major destructive issues reported when running FreeBsd.

Not that I'm able to find. The only real considerations that stick out to me are that the FreeBSD filesystem may be arranged in way that would require you to modify the startup scripts. More on this in the feature suggestion below:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-35736

Cheers!

Daya Naidoo September 13, 2017

David, i sincerely appreciate you response. A bit of background. I am consulting at SEACOM South Africa. We are busy with the roll out of Jira Service Desk. We are working closely with InforWare Studios, JIRA Partner Consultants.

The SEACOM Engineering team would like to engage directly with Atlassian to clarify their concerns on FreeBSD.

Would you be so kind as to induldge us with either a telephonic or skype meeting at you earliest convience.

This would sincerely be appreciated and am most certain it would put all concerns to bed.

Daya Naidoo September 15, 2017

Based on the responses, can we summarize as below?

1. Atlassian will support SEACOM on Application related issues with Jira.  
  2. Atlassian will not support SEACOM with OS related issues.  
  3. Oracle JDK/JRE is recommended by Atlassian for supported operating systems.  Atlassian do advise to keep the Java Platform in use by SEACOM on the latest release.
  4. If running FreeBSD, Atlassian advise that the FreeBSD filesystem may be arranged in way that would require SEACOM to modify the startup scripts. 

I have the following question for Atlassian:

If Atlassian are supporting SEACOM on an Application issue that turns out to be an OS-related issue, what then?  Would SEACOM need to pay for the support?

Atlassion, Please advise

David Di Blasio
Atlassian Team
September 15, 2017

Hi Daya,
Happy to help! I'm actually not in a position to set up a call as you've requested, however, in general we would recommend reach us through the methods mentioned in the following URL for direct assistance:

https://www.atlassian.com/company/contact

Allow me to quote and answer your second question as well:

If Atlassian are supporting SEACOM on an Application issue that turns out to be an OS-related issue, what then? Would SEACOM need to pay for the support?

Atlassian does not provide any support for OS related issues in either our starter or paid licenses. For this we would recommend to reach out to either the vendor, or a third party subject matter expert for assistance.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events