cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails are not creating/updating cases

Humberto Gomes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2021

Hi,

First of all, many thanks for your time to readh and help in this one.

Existing Setup:

Jira Service Desk project is configured with the following customer permission:

Who can raise requests? -->  Customers who are added to the project.

This means we are adding manually customers before any action from customer.

Jira (Server 8.15)

Running in Jira we have “email this issue” app with mail handler configured.

There is a default rule with the instruction:

Find related issue:

• Add comment

No Related issue

• Do nothing

This is to add comments to existing cases. No other actions, No issues creation, nothing else.

Statement:

Customers already added to Service Desk. Ther is no issues here to see the portal, receive emails and notifications. No issues in the portal.

Problem

When the user sends an email to jira@company.com (or reply a previous received one) the email handler catch the email (as expected) and see the case reference but can’t add the comment and logs the following error:

ERROR: com.atlassian.servicedesk.api.ForbiddenException: You don't have permission to access this Service Desk.

In fact:

- The user email is a valid user

Log: INFO: Found user for user@hotmail.com, executing as user (user@hotmail.com)

- User is already configured as customer (and can create cases….)

- The rule says to comment the case but can’t do it due to permissions.

How can I make this working?

We need to enable the option to send emails to jira and this update/create cases.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

Hi @Humberto Gomes ,

just quick check - have you setup the appropriate request type for email requests in your service desk project? See here for the complete instructions.

Humberto Gomes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2021

Yes, and that is not the question/problem

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

@Humberto Gomes Please, how does your permission scheme for your service desk project look like? Especially Browse Projects and Create Issue permissions...

Humberto Gomes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2021

Hi:

ScreenHunter 734.pngScreenHunter 733.pngScreenHunter 731.png

Humberto Gomes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2021

Adding the user as "service desk agent" it works.

But to not makes any sense. 

The user is a Customer.

ScreenHunter 741.pngScreenHunter 739.png

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2021

Hi @Humberto Gomes ,

thank you for all the information. I apologize for the delay, I needed to look more into Email this issue functionality.

In the documentation I've provided before is this paragraph:

"Customer requests and comments are processed differently than Jira mail. Issues created via Jira email handlers don't show up as service project customer requests. For this reason, we don't recommend using a Jira mail handler for service projects. Read Creating issues and comments from email for more information."

I think this is the problem, because it seems to me Email this issue handler works very similar. Your issues are not handled as requests, but as issues and your user needs to have Service Management licence to be able to comment publicly/create issues, see here. That is why everything works fine, when you give the SM licence to your user.

So, I believe the only possible way is to add one linked email account to each of your Service Management projects.

Humberto Gomes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2021

Many thanks for your answer.

Last question:

This is the customer experience:

Mail from JIRA to the customer:

ScreenHunter 791.png

If the customer reply to the email: (click to reply in the email)

ScreenHunter 792.png

He will send to the correct email. The email linked to the SD project.

If he writes to:  jira@truphone.com will not work.(as you said before)

But Jira@truphone.com is the email he is seeing...

So, how can I change this?

The first email should be like   "Humberto.gomes" <testsd@truphone.com> using the SD email. not the Jira email.

Humberto

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2021

Hi @Humberto Gomes ,

I understand, what you mean, but unfortunately I don't think it is possible, see here.

It's possible to change the outgoing mail address for your Service Management project, but then all the project's mails will be sent via this address (not just the portal ones, what is I think you need).

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events