• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Email request cannot retrieve new email for creating new tickets

Hi all,

I am facing the problem with the email request which cannot retrieve emails for creating new tickets.

Highly believed that the email has been successfully configured

Email channel.PNG

I have checked the logs files shown as below.

Could you kindly help us resolve it?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Issue mail.PNG

Note:

- The issue happened after importing the data from the evaluation environment to the production.

- I have also upgraded the system but nothing resolved.

2 answers

Please guide us to investigate it! :(

Thank you.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Sep 30, 2020

Hi,

I understand that you imported some data from one Jira to another, and after that time it seems that Jira Service Desk is unable to process email requests.   Is the previous evaluation site still up and running?

I ask because the type of error that is generated is commonly seen where there exists a race condition to process these emails.  What I mean be that is that if you have two Jira Server instances that are setup to use the same email inbox for incoming messages, there can be situations where the message is getting processed by one Jira before the other Jira can complete the action. 

Depending on the email connection method (POP vs IMAP), the message could be deleted from the inbox after it is processed by any Jira site (POP) OR the message could just be marked as unread once it is processed (IMAP).  But regardless of which protocol is being used, both can cause this kind of error of NoSuchElementException.

So that is what I would want to try to check first, see if perhaps there is another project or another Jira site that is connected to this same mailbox.  If you cannot ultimately find this other connection in Jira, then the next steps I would recommend would be to change the password on the email account, and then update your Jira email configuration to use this new password.  That is the most likely successful way to resolve this, if in fact this is caused by another site checking the same inbox at the same or shorter interval.

Try this and let me know if this helps.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your advice.

In the previous evaluation site has been completely replaced by the production site (due to our resource). I means that there is one production system configured with the email request address.

So, I have changed its password as your advice, but the issue has been not resolved.

After trying with Imcoming mail (System), I found out some issues with email request, maybe it is a root cause.

Incoming mail returns errors on logs file:

Cannot create issue due to invalid license: [Sorry, you can't create any issues right now, as you need to have access to a Jira application to be able to create issues. To gain application access you need to be a member of a group assigned to an application.

Note: some emails successfully processed for tickets creation, some emails failed due to the above issue.

It is highly believed that there are some issues with the license of JSD. However, after checking the number of licensed users as well as checking permission scheme, it does not exceed.

And I have tried to creating new project and new email address for testing, but not retrieve email for tickets creation.

Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Oct 05, 2020

Ah, well that error message is much more specific. To see that error message is a clear indication that there is a licensing issue.  We have a KB about this error that I would recommend reading over in Create issue via email fails due to invalid license error in Jira server .

If this is a Service Desk project, it sounds like you're using a Jira Core mail handler to try to process incoming mail to that project.  The problem with that approach is that in order for it to create issues in that project, all the users have to licensed Jira Core users.  Which is not something you likely want to do given the nature of Jira Service Desk having an unlimited number of unlicensed users (in the customer role).

The best solution in these cases is to create a Service Desk mail handler for this project, within that service desk project settings.  This way the requests will be created correctly even for users in the customer role.

Using a Jira core/software mail handler instead of a Jira Service Desk mail handler here is not recommended.  While it might be able to create issues in a Jira project, it won't be able to set Service Desk specific fields such as request type, AND it also has the other requirement that all users that send email there be licensed users.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any concerns about this.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

196 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you