Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email reply or fwd of an existing issue creates a new one instead of a comment

Abir Stolov October 28, 2020

The flow is following:

I forwarded a mail to the email channel of the service desk

It created an issue

Option 1:

Changed the reported because it was a forward so it will work with the original sender

Replied to the sender + email channel -> it created a new issue

Option 2:

Kept the Reporter as me

Replied to the sender + email channel -> it created a new issue

How do I make it work as expected, meaning It will recognize it is the same email and add a comment instead of a new issue?

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2020

I wanted to add some clarification (?) here as I have found some recent exceptions to the “Jira issue key is the one true requirement for establishing a comment vs. new issue. What I found is if the original author replies to their own original email which would not have the issue key then a comment is added vs. new issue. Below is a snip-it response from a chat on the topic I was having  with an Atlassian member (Andrew Heinzer). I plan to write an article on this topic when I get some cycles as it is confusing indeed.

JSD does this differently than Jira Core/Software will because the mail handlers use different code. But utlimtately, both JSD and core require that the email that is incoming is originating from an email address that Jira knows for an existing account AND that existing account already has access to the existing issue/request. If that new message comes from a new account or someone who does not have access to the issue/request, Jira will create a new issue if the user has that ability.

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2020

That's quite interesting Jack.  We switched to Email this Issue a while ago to process incoming emails, so I've not used it for a little while.

It sounds like it's a bit more advanced than it was though, which is good.

Personally, I'm not a fan of email to ticket - I think everyone should go down the portal route...difficult to convince the whole company they should though!

Like Zachary Hayes likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2020

I use JETI as well but currently only for one project and outgoing. IT is powerful but complex IMO and I don’t need more complexity in my Jira-world.  Agree that the portal is much preferred but we still live in an email world. Will have to await the next generation in the workplace. 😂

Like Liam Green likes this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2020

It is really complex, but their support is brilliant!

I would prefer not to need it for outgoing or incoming, but with the requirements of our teams and the restrictions within Jira it is unavoidable.

I'm looking forward to email taking a step back - but even at my age (34 at the end of the week) I can't see it happening whilst I'm at work.

0 votes
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2020

Hi @Abir Stolov 

When you say you 'replied to the sender + email channel', do you mean you replied from your personal email?  If so, was the Issue Key in the email header?  If not, Jira will not know that it is the same issue.

Using email on the service desk means there is always a possibility that Jira will think it is a new issue, but without the Issue Key it will definitely think it is new.

Hope that helps, 

Regards, Liam

Abir Stolov October 28, 2020

Hi @Liam Green 

Yes I mean replied from an email that is not the receiving email of service desk.

I would like to know what that Issue Key that determines if it is the same Issue?

In both cases the email subject was the same.

What should I do with the Reporter field in case the email was forwarded?

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2020

Hi @Abir Stolov 

The Issue Key is the unique identified for the ticket, and usually contains letters and numbers (e.g. KEY-123).  Jira cannot add a comment to a ticket based purely on the email subject as it is entirely possible for the subject to be the same in multiple tickets.

Is there a reason you would reply to the email rather than adding a comment to the ticket?

If the email has been forwarded to the service desk, then I would think best practice would be to change the Reporter to the original sender.  Again, is there a reason the sender would not just send to the service desk straight away?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events