Email replies to existing ticket create new tickets

John Dawson December 3, 2020

A ticket has been raised (VSD-158) and I clicked "reply to customer" from within the ticket. When the customer replies, it creates a new ticket (VSD-159 and VSD-160).

The subject in my first email comment to the customer was "https://voice-global.atlassian.net/browse/VSD-158#icft=VSD-158  New terms and conditions popup" so it should match with the ticket ID, shouldn't it?

Here is the ticket queue:

email_issue1.png

and here are the comments within the original ticket:

email_issue2.png

Thanks,

John

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2020

Hi @John Dawson 

Can you clarify what the subject was?  Did it have the URL in it?

The email the customer received had the subject:

hmm... it won't let me post it because it's reading it as code. I'll post a screenshot instead:

Screenshot 2020-12-03 144050.png

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2020

That's very strange - usually it would just have the Key not a link I think.

Can the user confirm what they did to reply - did they include another email address?  Email isn't an exact science for Jira, so even when it looks like you've done everything right it can still throw up an anomaly.

I've asked them although I imagine that they just clicked reply in Outlook.

It wouldn't be anything to do with the fact that our emails have two different names for the same account? So everyone here (at the university) has person.name@newcastle.ac.uk and person.name@ncl.ac.uk (I don't know why tbh... they both work the same).

Reason I mention is because the initial ticket was raised on the customer's ncl.ac.uk and the replies were from newcastle.ac.uk...

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2020

Yes, John!  It will see the reporter as two different people.  

Also, the @newcastle.ac.uk account would not have access to the @ncl ticket.

The solution to that is to always add the other account as a request participant.  Very messy from a notification point of view though.

Regards, Liam

Yeah, unfortunately I can't do anything about the two versions of email addresses... As you say, for each ticket I'll have to link them and add request participants... Thanks for your help

Like Liam Green likes this
1 vote
mararn1618 _secretbakery.io_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 24, 2021

Hey @John Dawson , you actually don't have to du this manually every time, but you can use customer organizations for that.

Just (a) create an organization, (b) add all email addresses to that organization and (c) enable request sharing. I won't repeat the details, since I just wrote about it over here:

Would like to know in case this helps (and also if not 😉).

Cheers, Markus
Founder of Duplicate AI // Find & Merge Duplicate Issues

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events