Email automation-Returning Status Name instead of the numerical value

Rich Imbrogno March 30, 2023

This has to be super easy but probably not asking it properly and thus my searches are not getting me the proper answer.

My automation rule is the following:

{{description.substring(185,209)}}

Work Completed by {{issue.assignee.displayname}} JIRA ID:{{issue. assignee}}

Final Result: {{issue.status}}
* Closed indicates request was completed successfully
* Canceled indicates that the work was not completed.
Further details are available at <a href="{{issue.url}}"> {{issue.key}}</a>

It renders the following result:

Reference #: ISREQ-218

Work Completed by Richard Imbrogno JIRA ID:richard.imbrogno

Final Result: 6
* Closed indicates request was completed successfully
* Canceled indicates that the work was not completed.
Further details are available at ICSD-8299

It's almost exactly what I want except what's shown in the bolded text. I want the actual name of the result displayed (In this case "Closed") to appear instead of the reference number (6) Just need to know what i need to modify/replace in the {{issue.status}} to properly reflect this. I cannot use "resolved" status for this

ALSO:

For {{description.substring(185,209)}} I did a character count within the Description section to give me the proper result which works ok. I'd rather do a substring query that looks for a keyword and returns it plus 6 characters after it or until no further characters are detected. In this case specifically, I want the automation to look for "ISREQ-*  and give me this statement plus all the digits that follow. 

Hope this is clear. Thanks 

1 answer

0 votes
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2023

Hi @Rich Imbrogno,

6 is the status id, you can use {{issue.status.name}} to get the status name instead.

I'm not sure to understand what you're looking for using {{description.substring(185,209)}}, would {{issue.key}} work for you?

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Rich Imbrogno April 3, 2023

Hi Manon. Thanks so much. This worked well. 

For the other request: I'm not sure to understand what you're looking for using {{description.substring(185,209)}}, would {{issue.key}} work for you?

...what I'm trying to do is to create an email triggered by an automation rule. The rule is working properly, creating the required email. What I need to include in the email is reference to some text (in this case a request # from the submitter's JIRA environment) that is located in the Description field of the initial ticket. How I'm accomplishing that today is looking at the character location in the Description field (characters 185-209 as indicated above) and sending that back. It works fine but it was a little challenging to get the character positions correct. (Again, this is new to me, probably should be easier but it took way more time than it should have)

What I would prefer to do is look for a keyword in the description field instead of character position. In this case the keyword always starts with ISREQ- and is followed up by the rest of the numbers in the ticket. I want to be able to search on ISREQ- and paste that into my automation-generated email. 

I hope this is a little clearer.

Thanks again for your help

BTW, the initial ticket is generated by the external partner sending it to us via an email request and processed through the Email request function, and not Jira-to-Jira projects directly. They are set up on a separate JIRA environment altogether so we cannot use sub-tasks, linked issues etc, otherwise this would be much easier to manage.

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2023

Ok, I see! 2 suggestions to make it easier:

• Use substringAfter() function instead of substring():
Reference #: ISREQ-{{description.substringAfter("ISREQ-")}}
  • Use a custom field to store the reference (ISREQ-xxx) value you're looking for. You'll better understand what is sent in the emails when using a smart value for a custom field rather than {{description.substring(185,209)}}

Thank you again! So, another small issue...I don't have permissions to create custom fields as I'm project admin only and not system. Is there another why to combine what you're suggesting into a single query :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events