Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Request Working Sporadically

Scott Rheins October 14, 2020

Recently i have been tasked with finding out why the Jira Email request we have configured works then will stop working.  I have reviewed the connected account and it states that the last email received 41 minutes ago.  This can't be right.  

I reviewed the processing log and nothing has processed sind 09:09 am PST 10-14-2020.  The connectivity log shows success for the email address on 10-14/2020 at 09:46 am.  I don't know why this job has stopped with no clear error.  

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2020

Hi @Scott Rheins and welcome to the community,

I guess the first step we'll have to tackle is to get some more information on what is going on on the system.

What kind of logging do you have enabled?

On the "logging en profiling" section for example you can enable debugging logs for incoming and outgoing email.

image.png

when looking at "mail" I can also see the com.atlassian.jira.mail.settings.MailSetting package that you could enable as debugging.

A lot more information can be found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/logging-and-profiling-938847671.html 

Also, do you have manual access to the incoming mailbox? Can you check whether something is in there that is not being processed? (gotta determine where the bottleneck is).

If you are on a good standing with your email admins maybe they can also add some tracing on that mailbox

I'm not sure what logging is enabled.  I did a test from Jira and it said it was connecting to the mailbox fine.  In the past 20 minutes, two more emails were processed but only two out of 45.

I've tried to find the System support option under system, but I am unable to find these enhanced log options.,

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2020

With regards to the logging can you go on your base-url and then

/secure/admin/ViewLogging.jspa

That should take you to the correct options to enable further logging

It appears I do not have permissions to view this page.  When i navigate there I get an error saying Failed to load user detail.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2020

I apologize! Must have misread it at the start. 

I believed you were using the server edition and right now I notice it's actually cloud.. totally my fault!

You will not have those options as it all goes directly through Atlassian (my bad).$

Think you'll be better served getting in touch with the offical support team (https://support.atlassian.com)

There an engineer should be able to troubleshoot your connection and actually see the logs. 

Again, apologise.. need more coffee!

Scott Rheins October 16, 2020

I was able to fix the issue though I'm not sure why it's working the way it is.  I noticed yesterday that after the email box was empty there still showed 7 emails as unread.  I found these older unread emails and marked them as read.  After marking these old emails as read, the system started acting as documented.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2020

I feel like u should log that as a bug. Doesn’t sounds like normal behaviour. 

but great that u have a solution!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events