E-mail different assignee's there list of items matching a JQL

Maarten Sch April 20, 2021

Hi all

I'm trying to set up an automation rule which will send out a daily e-mail to assignees of issues that are closed but haven't got any time tracked against them.

So far I've got the following:

image.png

So I do get a list of issues that match my criteria and what I wanted to do is send each assignee his/her list of matched. Thought it was as easy as adding the assignee as receiver of the email but that generates errors.

image.png

My errors:

image.png

Any thoughts on how to solve this and/or achieve this use case of merged mails containing personalized content for each of the attendees who match with the JQL?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
avo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2021

Hey @Maarten Sch

I see two problems here,

The first is with your use of the lookup issues. As it stands now the "assignee" in the "To" field in the email doesn't exist as there is no issue in context. As @Juan Manuel Ibarra mentioned the issues in the lookup issues action are stored in {{lookupIssues}} not in the current issue context (which is what "Assignee" is accessing) . To get the assignee you'd have to select a specific issue from the {{lookupIssues}} like this: {{lookupIssues.first.assignee}}

The second is that to solve your usecase of looping over issues and bundling would require the ability to loop over smart values, which unfortunately isn't in the product yet. We should be tackling it soon though! I've added this post to the ticket tracking requests for the feature which counts as a vote for it: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-81

Cheers,
Andrew

Maarten Sch April 24, 2021

Great feedback Andrew, thanks!
Looking forward to that new feature! :-)

0 votes
Juan Manuel Ibarra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2021

Hello, once you use the lookup you must use the smart value {{lookupIssues}}

here you can see what you can do with that variable https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automation-actions/#Automationactions-Lookupissues

Regards!

Maarten Sch April 20, 2021

Thanks for your quick answer Juan.
I did use that value in my e-mail.

image.png

But my JQL finds issues for 5+ assignees and 20+ issues.
So what I am trying to do is to send each of those let's say 5 assignees the same email but with their own issues listed. 

My assumption was that JIRA would be smart enough to loop through the issues, bundle them per assignee and then send the email to each of those when I selected 'assignee' as the receiver but apparently it's not that easy :-)

kspeight August 30, 2021

Hi Maarten,

I'm trying to accomplish the exact same thing.  Did you get an answer for how to send a consolidated list of Issues to each Assignee?

Thanks

Kevin

Maarten Sch August 31, 2021

Hi @kspeight 

Unfortunately the product at the time was not (yet) able to do this.
In the mean time the feature seems to have been released but I haven't had the time to dive in. 
More info at https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-81

Kind regards

Maarten

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders