Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate service desk tickets from customer

Farbod Jahan May 20, 2020

Our customers go on our service desk portal to create a ticket, I respond to their question, they respond back however it gets converted from a bug to a support issue type. Has anyone experienced this? Service Desk.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2020

Hello Farbod,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When a customer replies to a notification and it creates a new ticket instead of adding the comment to the original one, it means that they don't have permission on that ticket.

What may be happening, in this case, is that the customer creates a ticket in the portal with one account and when replying to the notification, they are using another email address. This issue usually happens, for example, when someone configures different email addresses on outlook (or another email client), so they receive an email and they forget to select the correct account to reply.

Please, confirm if the reporter is using the exact same email address that they used on the Bug ticket.

Regards,
Angélica

Farbod Jahan May 22, 2020

Hi @Angélica Luz it is the exact same email address. Is there anyway to group them together? 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2020

It's not possible to merge tickets, you can link them, but not merge.

Was there any change in the project permissions between the time the two tickets were created?

Can you check in the email logs if the email is the same (Cog icon > Products > Email requests > View log > Processing log)? I'm asking because someone could have changed the reporter after the ticket was created. 

Farbod Jahan July 9, 2020

The email is still our support email address, nothing was changed

Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2020

Hello @Farbod Jahan , 

Let me step in since @Angélica Luz  is out at the moment. 

If I understand correctly the ticket is created from the portal and everything is fine, the issue is that when replying to the email, instead of having the reply added to the original ticket, a new one is created. 

Is this correct?

Also:

1. Is this only happening to the first reply, or to the successive replies as well? n other words, after the first replay are all the successive replies added to the same issue or each of them is creating a new one?
  2. In your Service Desk project are you using the Default email account or you have configured a custom email address?
  3. If you look at the Jira Service Desk email logs, can you see the email being processed by JSD?

I am asking above questions in order to exclude the possibility there could be a Jira email handler that is using the same email account configured for your service desk project, or similar issues.

In any case, if you need to get faster support on this, since you are the site-admin for your instance you can open a support request by using below link (make sure to grant access to your site so that the assigned support engineer will be able to deeper investigate this issue without having to wait for approval):

Cheers,
Dario

Farbod Jahan July 17, 2020

Hi Dario that is the correct workflow from my customers perspective. 

1. This happens for the first reply only

2. We are using the default email address 

3. Sent you the logs in the support ticket.

I have also opened up a support ticket Dario can you please review. Thank you! 

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2020

Thanks for your quick reaction on this. The assigned support engineer will get in touch with you soon. 

Also, it would be very nice if, once the ticket is solved, you can spare some time to post the solution in here. 

Have a nice weekend!

Dario

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events