Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain verify with DNS

ken yoder January 20, 2021

I have added the TXT record and waited a week several times and i am still not able to verify the domain name. Why is jira not seeing the DNS record?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

@ken yoder - hi Ken! Where are you configuring DNS? Are you with a service like Cloudflare, GoDaddy, etc.?

If I* have personal experience with your service, I can tell you how I've configured my TXT records.

* or someone else on this forum

ken yoder January 20, 2021

i am using bluehost for the domain hosting. im adding the "atlassian-domain-verification=***gibberish***" key to my @ TXT records.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Gotcha - Bluehost's DNS config is pretty straightforward (I've actually used them before!).

Have you tried removing the TXT record, then re-applying it?

Sanity check: Your host record should be "@" (no quotes) as you mentioned. And you can re-paste in the atlassian-domain-verification value as you did before.

ken yoder January 21, 2021

yes i've added and removed it 3 times. waiting a week in between each time. 

:-(

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

@ken yoder - bummer! A few hours max should be sufficient time to try again.

I would suggest the HTTPS method of verifying then - way easier if you're your domain server admin (or know one).

our site is hosted on wix and our webmaster tells me that there is no way to upload the verification html file for the HTTPS verification... DNS seems my only option. 

does atlassian have no support options for this type of issue?

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

@ken yoder - if you're on Atlassian's free plan, free community-supported support (from volunteers like me!) are your primary option.

Can you screenshot your TXT record in Bluehost, so I can sanity check it? Feel free to crop judiciously or redact any entries you consider private.

Capture.JPG

i see... i appreciate your help, this thing is kickin my butt.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

@ken yoder - instead of @ , try replacing that with the actual domain's name (it's a stretch), e.g. catsareawesome.com

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

@ken yoder - also, as a sanity check, put in your domain here: https://dnschecker.org/all-dns-records-of-domain.php

and confirm you see the TXT record present?

Like Prakash likes this
ken yoder January 22, 2021

bluehost wouldnt let me use the domain name, it just threw an error. i tried it blank too, same error. the only way it would save is with the @. 

and the txt record is not showing up on dnschecker. 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2021

@ken yoder - that's a weird one! Reach out to Bluehost support to confirm if you've added the TXT record in the right place/format/etc.

If dnschecker doesn't see the entry, Atlassian wouldn't either.

ken yoder January 22, 2021

got it... Thanks for your help. 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2021

Please write back if they're able to pinpoint what the issue is! I feel super invested now 😄

ken yoder January 26, 2021

haha no doubt. it was my fault... (shame face) i was setting the txt record at bluehost's dns instead of wix's dns. bluehost hosts our domain names but they are routed to wix. i thought the txt records stayed with the domain but apparently they follow through to the endpoint's dns. 

we set the txt record at wix and it worked within an hour. 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2021

@ken yoder ha!! Wonderful. Thanks for sharing your solution - and you can always accept this thread as an Answer since your answer's here! :-D

Like ken yoder likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2021

@ken yoder - fun trivia; some domain host providers won't even LET you set DNS records on domains if you're leveraging a different service (like Cloudflare) to handle your DNS records. Now I know Bluehost lets you. 😜

ken yoder January 26, 2021

thats weird that it lets you add the record even though it does nothing right? seems weird to me. lol

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events