Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to be worried about backups in JIRA Service Desk and Jira Software? Both in cloud.

Sistemas e Innovación Digital October 7, 2020

I just want to know if I need to configure backups in JIRA Service Desk and Jira Software Cloud. My projects are new generation projects.

I mean, if some Jira administrator by mistake deletes a full project of service desk, would I be  able to restore the project?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

Yes, you should be worried.

Atlassian take regular and frequent backups of all Cloud systems, but these are only suitable for restoring a whole set of systems in case of a complete failure.

They are not suitable for restoring (parts of) a system if someone deletes or reconfigures something destructively.

You should look at taking regular manual backups (downloading a file that a Cloud or Server Jira can be rebuilt from)

Sistemas e Innovación Digital October 7, 2020

Thanks for your quick reply Nic.

So the only way to backup my projects is manually?

Is this what I need to do to backup my projects?

Choose System - In the IMPORT AND EXPORT section, click Backup manager.

Under Backup for cloud, select Create backup for cloud - Tick the Include additional files

Once the backup is complete, select Download backup file.

If someone breaks a project and I need to restore it, I would use this downloaded file, but would it be able to restore just the project I choose or it will restore everything?

Thanks in advance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

Yes, you need to take these manual backups if you want to backup your projects.

Restoring the download will indeed scrub over all the content in the system you restore it to.

If you want to restore a single project, you'll need to restore that download into a temporary server system and merge the project back into the cloud.  This is not a simple process.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2020

You can set up a corn job in Jira to perform backups and a script to download to a remote storage. That is what we do.

Like Wayne_Reilly likes this
Sistemas e Innovación Digital October 8, 2020

Thanks Jack.

Is it possible to do this in cloud projects?

How whould I set this up?

Thanks in advance.

Like Wayne_Reilly likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders