cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable the default customer portal

Boris MBOUMEHANG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2020

Hi everyone, 

I hope you are doing well.

My company developped few years ago our own Branded customer portal (https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/service-desk/creating-your-own-branded-customer-portal/\) for our users to create tickets meeting our needs. This portal is related to a specific Jira Service Desk project.
But, some users continue to use the default customer portal to create them (https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-service-desk-evaluator-resources/jira-service-desk-customer-portal\).

Do you know if there is a way to disable the default customer portal for our end users, so that they could only use the one we developped?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Boris

2 answers

0 votes
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2020

Hi @Boris MBOUMEHANG - great question!

While there isn't a way to remove the portal for a JSD project, if you don't add any request forms to the portal view and put a message in the description to "click here to access our custom portal", one could redirect any customer who lands on the JSD portal page to your custom portal for new issue entry.  The JSD portal could still be used for viewing and updating exiting issues if desired.

Boris MBOUMEHANG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

Hi @LarryBrock , 

Thank you very much for your answer. Disabling the request form (without disabling the ability for our "custom" customer portal to use the fields set up in each request type) is what I actually want to do. But I can't for now.

In fact, the fields we use in our portal are the same that are used in the default customer portal. So, for example, If I hide a fied in one of the request types configured in the JSD project in question, it will also be hidden in our "custom" portal. 

Do you know how to disable (or delete) a request form without impacting our custom portal?

Thanks again.
Boris

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Apologies @Boris MBOUMEHANG ,

I skimmed the first document about building a custom portal but didn't read it thoroughly enough to understand how the custom portal interacted with JSD itself.  My assumption was that it could bypass the request forms in the portal which apparently it can't.  I'll read more thoroughly when I get a chance and offer any new suggestions that come to mind when I do.  Cheers!

Boris MBOUMEHANG
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2020

No problem @LarryBrock , I realy appreciate. 
Thank you in advance. 
Cheers!

0 votes
Mark Lang January 20, 2020

Hi Boris,

I am definitely not an SME but I’ll throw out a couple of ideas. 

1) You can set up permissions for which portals users have access to see and use. Could you lock down the access on the default portal?

2) Or if you have someone with Apache configuration skills, could you put in a rewrite rule that looks for the default portal url and then pushes those users over to the portal you want them to go to?  

I am a bit hazy on the implementation detail steps but let me know if either of these works or if you get stuck on the path and I’ll see if I can track down some additional info. 

EDIT- I’m reading your tags and see that you are interested in Cloud. My answer likely won’t help for Cloud as I work with the Server products but I’ll leave it up for now in case it gets any other ideas going. 

Regards,

Mark

Boris MBOUMEHANG
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2020

Hi Mark, 

Thank you very much for your answer. As you noticed, because I use the Cloud version, the second option is not going to work for me :( 

For the first option, what I understood from what you said is that I could look at the Jira Service Desk project permissions, and disable the ability that the portal users have for example to "Browse Projects" and/or to "Create issues". Isn't it? 

If so, I'm afraid that if I do that, the customers will no longer be able to create tickets, even by using our own branding customer portal (the "Service Desk Customer - Portal Access" role is used there)

Il would be interested if you have more ideas regarding this. 
Thank again!

Kind regards,
Boris

Mark Lang January 20, 2020

I think you are correct, I'll think about it more and let you know if I can come up with alternate ideas.  

Sorry these didn't work out. 

Regards,

Mark

Boris MBOUMEHANG
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2020

No worries Mark, I appreciated your suggestions. 

And thank you in advance for your other ideas that you can come up with. 

Regards,
Boris

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events