cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between Service and Software Project

Alex Adame
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 28, 2022

Hello,

In looking at the Jira applications overview, I see that Software Projects come with Agile boards meanwhile Service Projects come with a Portal. 

Is there a world where a Service Project can have an Agile board created or a Software Project have Portal capabilities, or are these distinct to each respective project?

Thanks,

Alex

2 answers

2 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2022

@Alex Adame -

Welcome to the community.  It is really focus on what you want to accomplish.  

Typically, as it is mentioned in other posting in the community by other community leaders -

Example - mentioned by @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

• Jira Service management enables you to layer a project with customer portals, SLAs, queues, customer accounts and places "requests" in front of issues (customers see requests, Agents and other Jira users see the issues behind the request)
  • Jira Software provides functions for supporting the two main ways people tend to do "Agile" development - essentially they give you Scrum and Kanban boards (and the supporting structures behind them)

Another thing will be user licenses consideration-

JSM - Customers are free and you only pay for AGENT licenses (who are the members handling customers request)

JSW (Jira Software) - All users of the product must be licensed.

One should be managing JSM issues by queues and not by boards + There is no out of the box Portal UI for JSW.

Again, it should be based on what you want to accomplish with your Atlassian products.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Alex Adame
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 28, 2022

Thanks for the insight, Joseph! We receive requests from external partners that then need to be reviewed, scheduled, and then released similar to products i.e. JSW is most ideal. But, the requests themselves come in from customers i.e. ideally need a portal to 'intake' requests so JSM seems most ideal. 

Like Giacomo Vannucchi likes this
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2022

@Alex Adame -

Excellent.  If our suggestions helped you, please click on Accept answer when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Giacomo Vannucchi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 29, 2023

@Joseph Chung Yin where do you provide a suggestion?

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2022

The portal is specific to Jira Service Management projects. JSM affects a number of things around how jira operates to make its "Small number of licensed agents serving a large unlicensed customer userbase" model work. For example, only agents can transition tickets, or add comments that will go back to customers.

On the other hand, Jira Software just adds features such as boards to Jira. You can add those features to any project. However, as a licensed end user, you can only see those boards if you have a Jira Software license. So for your Jira Service Management "agents" to be able to see the boards, they will also need to have a Jira Software license. You will also have to create and manage the boards a little more "manually" as the JSM project wont show the boards option on the side menu. But you can create and use boards just fine. (and you can even use the "add link" on the side panel to put a link to the board you create.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events