Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between Agents and other users

Stefan April 29, 2020

Hi,

I don't fully understand the Service Desk Agent system. There are 3 Agents and we have 50 user licens in Jira. What exactly are the differences between those Agents and the other Jira users? What about Jira admins?

Is there a video or tutorial available about this? Or some document?

Best regards
Stefan

1 answer

1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2020

Hi @Stefan 

• Agents are Jira users + they have extra rights to work on Jira Service Desk tickets.
  • Jira user can be an agent as well.
  • Any Jira user can be a Jira Administrator (not a good idea though, just have few).

When you go to the Applications section you can see there groups assigned to these applications and users in those groups count towards the license.

I hope it was helpful.

Ravi

Stefan April 29, 2020

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ 

What exactly are these extra rights of those Agents?
What can Jira users that are not Agents not do?

Stefan

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2020

Take a look at the documentation.

"Agents licensed for Jira Service Desk have the ability to access queues, move issues through workflows, and make customer-facing comments."

Apart from Jira Service Desk, do you also have Jira Software?

Ravi

Stefan April 29, 2020

Yes, we have Jira Server 50 user license. We wonder if 3 Agents would be enough for us.

Like Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ likes this
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2020

Hi @Stefan 

If you have only 3 people who would be responding and handling customer tickets then go ahead with 3 agents but when purchasing Jira license also try to forecast your usage in the next 6 or 1 year.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Stefan May 4, 2020

Right now we have a self-programmed ticket-system, and there are about 20 colleagues that are frequently answering tickets. As I understand it: The 3 agents are the only ones that can fully handle the tickets, like giving answers that the customers (the ticket-creator) can see. The other Jira users that are not Agents can also "work" on this tickets, like reading them, giving comments and such; but none of this is visible to the customers. Am I right?

So if we go with 3 Agents, we might have to change our ticket handling, so that only the 3 Agents give the answers (maybe based on comments from the other Jira users).

Regards
Stefan

Teejay March 30, 2023

Hi,

My client has 160 employees, and they want the Jira Service Management, will all of the employers be considered as users with paid licenses? Secondly, do we now make some of the users to be agents? thirdly must customers interacting with the portal have jira account or paid licenses? 

Regards,

Teejay.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events