Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Jira Service Desk and Jira Jira Service Management?

Danya November 10, 2020

What is the difference between these systems? JSM is the new generation of JSD? (Server)

2 answers

3 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2020

Jira service management is the newest iteration of the service desk.  From the Atlassian website:

To be fair, it’s not really a “this vs that” scenario, because Jira Service Management includes all the functionality of Jira Service Desk with richer ITSM capabilities. Jira Service Desk is now part of Jira Service Management.

How did we get here? We created Jira Service Desk in 2013, after we noticed that nearly 40% of our customers had adapted Jira to handle service requests. Thousands of teams managed requests through service desks, reduced manual effort, and set up workflows across their organizations in departments like HR and legal.

In 2020, we introduced Jira Service Management to further unlock development, IT operations, and business teams, so they can deliver exceptional service experiences.

In addition to including rich capabilities from Jira Service Desk, such as a request portal, service catalog, queues, and SLAs, here’s what’s new in Jira Service Management:

• Modern incident management, powered by Opsgenie: Get on-call scheduling, alerting, incident swarming, and more from our popular Opsgenie product in all cloud plans of Jira Service Management. Plus deeper integrations with Jira Software, Bitbucket, and Confluence let you seamlessly orchestrate the end-to-end incident resolution process.
  • Change management, built for the DevOps era: Make smarter decisions around changes to services with richer contextual information–from both your software development as well as infrastructure-related tools. Innovate faster with automated change risk assessments, advanced approval workflows, and deep integrations with popular CI/CD tools like Bitbucket Pipelines, Jenkins, and CircleCI.
  • Intuitive service experiences: The new agent experience makes it easier to categorize service requests, incidents, problems, and changes. Take action quickly with new features such as bulk ticket actions and machine learning capabilities that intelligently group similar tickets.
  • And coming soon, Jira Service Management will include asset and configuration management powered by our Mindville Insight product and best-in-class conversational ticketing capabilities, through an integration with Halp.

By integrating additional ITSM features and allowing your teams to work more seamlessly the new Jira Service Management will increase productivity while improving customer service.  I would suggest signing up for one of the weekly demos to see  the new features in action.

Mark Hanson January 14, 2021

I would like specifics on "deeper integrations with Jira Software, Bitbucket, and Confluence".  If there is a documentation page listing these, please include it.  That also goes for "The new agent experience".

As an Admin, I want exact new feature details so that my users don't stumble over changes we don't expect and so that we can make use of the added features.  

As an Admin with other duties, I want explicit summaries of features that are also linked to detailed breakdowns so that I can support my Service Desk team efficiently.

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

Mark,

I would suggest watching the product demo.  It shows how they have changed the interface "deeper integration" so you can see more information in one place.  I believe that this is the link https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-management/demo-on-demand

Like # people like this
2 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2020

Branding. They are trying to sound more ITSM. 

It looks like they are trying to revive the "jira-ops" product from 2 years ago. 

In cloud, they are bundling Opsgenie with jira service desk, and adding a few integration points between them. And maybe adding a few touchpoints with bitbucket. 

Eventually they are going to bundle Insight asset management with it as well and some other natural language processing product they purchased.

So its basically bundling a few recently purchased products together under a new name.

On the server/datacenter side, there is even less. Its a name change as far as I can tell. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events