• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric s

Hello all,

I have a basic automation workflow which is closing the issue after 5 days of inactivity  if the owner doesnt write something to the ticket.

But I receive some error messages and the only thing that Jira does is writing a comment to the ticket. No change of status, no closing.

"Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with cur..."

Could you please help me about that ?

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Hana Kučerová Community Leader Nov 09, 2020

Hi @Monitoring_World ,

welcome to the Atlassian community!

Would you please share us, how exactly is your automation rule setup and how does the audit log look like?

Is this a next-gen project or classic project in Cloud?

Thank you!

Hello Hana,

Please take a look to the captured screen. And it's a classic project.

Thank you.

jira1.png

Hana Kučerová Community Leader Nov 09, 2020

Hi @Monitoring_World ,

thank you!

I can see you are transitioning the issue from more statuses - is there available transition to status Resolve from every status (Work in progress, open, pending, waiting for support)?

Are there any validators or conditions set on these transitions?

Does this error appears everytime or it is just connected with some of the source statuses?

The automation rule uses Automation for Jira user as an actor. Has this user the permission Transition issues? Please check the project's permission scheme, if there is a Project role atlassian-addons-project-access.

I have the same issue and do not understand this smart value remark. My automation is straight forward. What is the real problem here?

Hana Kučerová Community Leader Jan 26, 2021

Hi @Gary Honegger ,

this error can have more reasons, see my previous post. 

The target status of transition could be defined using smart value, but if it is not your case, you can ignore the information.

Thanks Hana. After I wrote my comment I checked my workflow again. It was all fine. Except I had forgotten to activate. Sorry for that. Now it works all fine.

Like Hana Kučerová likes this

Hello all, I'm afraid I have the same problem and I'm not able to fix it, even after searching in the Atlassian Community.
Our company is in the process of migrating its Bitbucket/Jira/Confluence server to the new Cloud hosting. 

I configured the project, imported all the sprints and issues, and I'm currently cleaning my project workflow in order to make our Continuous Integration platform back to work.

I've created two basic Automation Rules :
- one to transition an issue to status "In Progress" when the associated Bitbucket branch is created (we may create the branch ourselves using a script and the API) 
- one to transition the issue to status "Done" when the branch is merged (our CI platform creates a PR and merges it)

In both cases, the log shows an error "Could not resolve destination status".
I can't see why for now and it's frustrating.
I checked the project permissions, the Automation actor seems to have what it needs (screenshot).

Based on the screenshots below, could someone have an idea about how I could go forward ?
Thanks to everyone,
loïc b.

screenshot_1.jpg

screenshot_2.jpg

screenshot_3.jpg

screenshot_4.jpg

Hana Kučerová Community Leader Feb 04, 2021

Hello @Loïc BERTHELOT ,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Are there any validators or conditions or post functions set on the transitions, you're trying to perform? Are your setting resolution or any other fields?

Has the project role atlassian-addons-project-access also Browse Projects permission? If you are setting resolution, you will also need Resolve Issues and Edit Issues.

Hello Hana,
thanks for your message,

For the status "Done" shown in the example above, I have :

1 condition (this particular transition is not supposed to be executed by a human) and 6 post functions, as shown on the following screenshot.

They do not seem to be a problem.

I've checked the permissions, which I did not modified : atlassian-addons-project-access has the Browse Project, Resolve Issues and Edit Issues permissions.

As an additional note, since I have to achieve the migration asap, I've choosen to disable the Automation rules we are talking about,
and used the legacy triggers directly in the transition properties instead.
- trigger 'branch created'
- trigger 'PR merged'

They both worked instantly as expected.
I'm still interested in understanding how to make the Automation rules work, and in knowing if there's a bug here...

screenshot_5.jpgscreenshot_6.jpg

Hana Kučerová Community Leader Feb 06, 2021

Hi @Loïc BERTHELOT ,

it seems to me everything you've set up is right and it should work :-/.

I've tried this functionality using my free Jira and Bitbucket instance and it worked as expected, so I believe in general it should work.

It seems to me it must be something related to the workflow and permission settings.

So maybe some tips for experimenting to find out, what's going on:

• try to change the Actor of rule - use your user and check using GUI, whether you are able to perform this transition... if not, try to find the right combination of permissions and conditions
  • change the configuration of rule - set specific transition instead of target status to be sure, which transition exactly you are trying to do
  • try to change the transition - use some other, which not set Resolution and in general does nothing important
  • give the role atlassian-addons-project-access every permission possible for your project 
  • create new workflow with no additional conditions and post functions

Hope it helps you find out, what's going on...

Hi Hana, thanks for your message,

I appreciate your support, I really do, but to be frank, I don't have the time to "recreate the workflow from scratch" or "try every possible combination between transitions and permissions". I just spent 8 days to migrate our project from the Jira server to the Jira Cloud, I'm already over the estimated time for this task, and I still have to polish the results.

I'll stick to the legacy triggers for now, it just works. My feeling is that the Automation rules logs should contain more detailed information about the reason it fails. It would be a great help for sure, and at least, would give us a hint about what to look at.

I'll stay tuned... thanks !

l.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

163 views 0 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you