Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric s

Monitoring.World November 9, 2020

Hello all,

I have a basic automation workflow which is closing the issue after 5 days of inactivity  if the owner doesnt write something to the ticket.

But I receive some error messages and the only thing that Jira does is writing a comment to the ticket. No change of status, no closing.

"Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with cur..."

Could you please help me about that ?

Thank you

11 answers

1 accepted

18 votes
Answer accepted
Ibrahim Ghalghay August 10, 2021

Hello

The simplest solution is to change the Actor in the Automation Rulte into your user or any user who has permission to apply this transition, also the permission to close an issue.

Regards;

Núria Rull October 5, 2021

that worked! thanks!

Like # people like this
Ibrahim Ghalghay October 8, 2021

vote for my answer if it worked fine with you :)

Like Andrei Iftimie likes this
Wesley Maffazzolli March 14, 2023

Your solution worked Ibrahim, thanks for that.

However, I see this solution as a workaround - and a little dangerous in some aspects. I decided to apply the solution from Dmytro (below) because changing the actor would not ensure transparency by using someone's name on behalf of the automation - I personally don't recommend.

Like Guillaume PELETTE likes this
26 votes
Dmytro Shaforost May 10, 2021

Hello everybody! I had a similar problem and was displaying this same error. This error means that the relationship you are trying to use is not configured in the workflow. For example, you have a condition that when an event occurs, you need to change the status of the event from "To Do" to "Done". The rule will not work if your workflow does not have the option to go from "To Do" to "Done"

Ayman Franso June 22, 2021

Thank you Dmytro

Makes sense, and thanks to your comment I was able to look in the right section and resolve my issue.

Like # people like this
Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2021

Thank you! that was a completely misleading error message. I never would have figure out that was what it meant. 

Like # people like this
Irina Lemus December 30, 2021

Thanks so much, Dmytro. Very helpful. Good to understand why it was happening.

Like Dmytro Shaforost likes this
Mark Blom May 18, 2022

Thanks!!

I had the same issue: one of my statusses could not be transitioned to a other status while that transition between those two statusses was not defined in the workflow. Once I added that transition, my rule worked fine!

Ivanna December 6, 2022

Hi @Dmytro Shaforost ,

I have the same problem, I had set their relationship in the workflow , but it still occure this error .

1670379227955.jpg1670379270356.jpg

Dmytro Shaforost December 7, 2022

@Ivanna maybe you need to use 1003 status ID (numeric status ID) in your smart-value for automation rule?

Dmytro Shaforost December 7, 2022

@Ivanna 

Or try to use @Ibrahim Ghalghay solution

Like Ibrahim Ghalghay likes this
Cem Kocainan March 3, 2023

Thanks! It worked (I put other automations to transition the parent issue in every step, so in the end it didin't try to transition from backlog to done, which doesn't have a transition as you guessed)

4 votes
Kees Vianen August 4, 2021

We ran into the same issue. We solved it by adding a condition to the transition:

'users in this project role atlassian-addons-project-access can execute this transition'

1 vote
akul August 16, 2021

I have experienced this issue but the error message here is buggy.

My actual issue was with the workflow validation rule, the people who can perform the transition to the destination were restricted which caused the same error.
Example:
Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status):IR-4 (Stream QA (3Hr) - 10566)

Workflow Transition Rule: Only restricted to me.

Ibrahim Ghalghay August 16, 2021

change the Actor into your user, dear

It will solve the problem

Like Ahmad Jaradat likes this
Eric Buckner September 9, 2021

No it doesn't. Issue persists regardless of who is assigned the role. 

Ibrahim Ghalghay September 10, 2021

Dear @Eric Buckner

It persists if the newly specified Actor does not have access to apply the transition step.

I have tried it myself, and it solved the problem.

In the following screenshots, you will find the problem, and how it was solved.

Rule Problem.png

actor.png

actor.png

Ahmad Jaradat November 16, 2021

@Ibrahim Ghalghay i just tried your solution and it worked, thank you

Like # people like this
Ibrahim Ghalghay November 23, 2021

@Ahmad Jaradat You are most welcome, dear

Like Andrei Iftimie likes this
Adrien P_ January 28, 2022

@Ibrahim Ghalghay Hello, thank you for help in this topic.

Maybe you could help me to solve my problem.

I can't get the rule to work with two projects of a different Jira product. I would like my issues from the Jira software project to be closed when my issues from the Jira service management project are closed as well.
Do you know if this is possible?
I keep getting the following error "Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status)" while as you advised :
-I am the actor as admin
-the transitions in the 2 workflows (project A from JS and project B from JSM) are well configured so that the statuses change correctly from one to the other

carolina caetano May 4, 2022

Hey @Adrien P_  were you able to solve your issue? I am also working with two different projects and haven't been able to solve it

Like carolina caetano likes this
0 votes
Konstantinos Sotiriou
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 1, 2024

In my case the rule triggers when a comment is added. I found out that the problem is when the issue is simultaneously commented. It passes all the conditions but failed at the transition step because just a few tenths of a second ago it was transitioned from the very first comment added.

0 votes
Idiyana Binti Ahmad Salim January 22, 2024

Hello, 

My rule is working fine. but sometimes, i got this error even though the issue has fulfilled all the conditions. i have issues with the same issue type, in the same project that worked. how can i know which part that cause the error?

Konstantinos Sotiriou
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 31, 2024

I have exact the same problem. Most times the automation rules is successfully running,
but sometimes when on "Transition the issue to another status" step, is appears this error but finally the transition is completed normally.
The problem is that I get alerted (false alarm) every time this is happening. 

0 votes
Kaniawati Zainal Abidin December 18, 2023

Hi all, i am new to Jira automation and initially got the above error.

May i know is it possible in Jira Automation to have 1 rule but with 2 different issue type action (example: triggered when issue type A changes to "ready to do" to create new issue type B, then auto change issue type B to "ready to do" because  when create it is is status "new")? In the workflow, there is already defined the transition of  "new --> ready to do".

The other approach i did was to create 2 different rule for the 2 different action for these two. (example: Rule 1 is triggered  when issue type A changes to "ready to do" to create new issue type B. Rule 2 is triggered when issue type B is created, to change issue type B status to "ready to do")

From my observation, the rule 2 only kicks in when i manually intervene to create the issue type B (which initially when create is it status "new" & after i did a refresh, the status is auto change to "ready to do"), but it does not work when the issue type B was created by the jira automation. I had also tried all the options change of "Actor in the Automation Rule into our user or any user who has permission" as per suggested by  @Ibrahim Ghalghay and the rule 2 still does not work if the creation was done via the jira automation.

Hence asking, is it possible in jira automation a rule triggered by transaction which the input for that rule was the result of another jira automation rule?

Thanks

0 votes
Raphi Levine June 10, 2021

Hello all,

I am having the same issue now.

I had set up a few months ago a trial account and set up the workflows with automation.  I have an automation such that when all the sub-tasks are closed, the Parent ticket should transition to the next status.  While I was testing this, all was working perfectly.

That project got put on hold for a few months, and we are not trying to test it again and now I seem to be getting lots of errors which say "Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status):"

There are no conditions or validators.  As far as I know nothing else has changed.  What can I do to identify the problem and fix it?  I can't spend hours on this trying to detect why it suddenly stopped working.  (BTW, I am now paying for the licensing, so it can't be related to that.)

0 votes
Ilidio Faria March 10, 2021

Same problem here, I'm trying to move issues from "waiting for customer" to Resolved, but in the middle I have in the workflow Work in Progress, and to put in the status of Resolved the agent needs to add a Reply to Customer. Any advices for a workaround without modify the workflow?

0 votes
Loïc B. February 3, 2021

Hello all, I'm afraid I have the same problem and I'm not able to fix it, even after searching in the Atlassian Community.
Our company is in the process of migrating its Bitbucket/Jira/Confluence server to the new Cloud hosting. 

I configured the project, imported all the sprints and issues, and I'm currently cleaning my project workflow in order to make our Continuous Integration platform back to work.

I've created two basic Automation Rules :
- one to transition an issue to status "In Progress" when the associated Bitbucket branch is created (we may create the branch ourselves using a script and the API) 
- one to transition the issue to status "Done" when the branch is merged (our CI platform creates a PR and merges it)

In both cases, the log shows an error "Could not resolve destination status".
I can't see why for now and it's frustrating.
I checked the project permissions, the Automation actor seems to have what it needs (screenshot).

Based on the screenshots below, could someone have an idea about how I could go forward ?
Thanks to everyone,
loïc b.

screenshot_1.jpg

screenshot_2.jpg

screenshot_3.jpg

screenshot_4.jpg

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

Hello @Loïc B. ,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Are there any validators or conditions or post functions set on the transitions, you're trying to perform? Are your setting resolution or any other fields?

Has the project role atlassian-addons-project-access also Browse Projects permission? If you are setting resolution, you will also need Resolve Issues and Edit Issues.

Loïc B. February 4, 2021

Hello Hana,
thanks for your message,

For the status "Done" shown in the example above, I have :

1 condition (this particular transition is not supposed to be executed by a human) and 6 post functions, as shown on the following screenshot.

They do not seem to be a problem.

I've checked the permissions, which I did not modified : atlassian-addons-project-access has the Browse Project, Resolve Issues and Edit Issues permissions.

As an additional note, since I have to achieve the migration asap, I've choosen to disable the Automation rules we are talking about,
and used the legacy triggers directly in the transition properties instead.
- trigger 'branch created'
- trigger 'PR merged'

They both worked instantly as expected.
I'm still interested in understanding how to make the Automation rules work, and in knowing if there's a bug here...

screenshot_5.jpgscreenshot_6.jpg

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2021

Hi @Loïc B. ,

it seems to me everything you've set up is right and it should work :-/.

I've tried this functionality using my free Jira and Bitbucket instance and it worked as expected, so I believe in general it should work.

It seems to me it must be something related to the workflow and permission settings.

So maybe some tips for experimenting to find out, what's going on:

• try to change the Actor of rule - use your user and check using GUI, whether you are able to perform this transition... if not, try to find the right combination of permissions and conditions
  • change the configuration of rule - set specific transition instead of target status to be sure, which transition exactly you are trying to do
  • try to change the transition - use some other, which not set Resolution and in general does nothing important
  • give the role atlassian-addons-project-access every permission possible for your project 
  • create new workflow with no additional conditions and post functions

Hope it helps you find out, what's going on...

Loïc B. February 6, 2021

Hi Hana, thanks for your message,

I appreciate your support, I really do, but to be frank, I don't have the time to "recreate the workflow from scratch" or "try every possible combination between transitions and permissions". I just spent 8 days to migrate our project from the Jira server to the Jira Cloud, I'm already over the estimated time for this task, and I still have to polish the results.

I'll stick to the legacy triggers for now, it just works. My feeling is that the Automation rules logs should contain more detailed information about the reason it fails. It would be a great help for sure, and at least, would give us a hint about what to look at.

I'll stay tuned... thanks !

l.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2020

Hi @Monitoring.World ,

welcome to the Atlassian community!

Would you please share us, how exactly is your automation rule setup and how does the audit log look like?

Is this a next-gen project or classic project in Cloud?

Thank you!

Hello Hana,

Please take a look to the captured screen. And it's a classic project.

Thank you.

jira1.png

jira2.png

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2020

Hi @Monitoring.World ,

thank you!

I can see you are transitioning the issue from more statuses - is there available transition to status Resolve from every status (Work in progress, open, pending, waiting for support)?

Are there any validators or conditions set on these transitions?

Does this error appears everytime or it is just connected with some of the source statuses?

The automation rule uses Automation for Jira user as an actor. Has this user the permission Transition issues? Please check the project's permission scheme, if there is a Project role atlassian-addons-project-access.

Gary Honegger January 26, 2021

I have the same issue and do not understand this smart value remark. My automation is straight forward. What is the real problem here?

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2021

Hi @Gary Honegger ,

this error can have more reasons, see my previous post. 

The target status of transition could be defined using smart value, but if it is not your case, you can ignore the information.

Gary Honegger January 26, 2021

Thanks Hana. After I wrote my comment I checked my workflow again. It was all fine. Except I had forgotten to activate. Sorry for that. Now it works all fine.

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
akul August 16, 2021

I have experienced the same issue but the error message is buggy here. Issue was with the workflow validation rule, the people who can perform the transition to the destination were restricted which caused the same error.
Example:
Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status):IR-4 (Stream QA (3Hr) - 10566)

Workflow Transition Rule: Only restricted to me.

david_levy September 6, 2022

Hi, i follow all recommendations above and still get

The destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status):
LWS-9 (Twilio sent Notification - 3)

although it failed it change the status 

1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG4.PNG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin