Delete customers

Mark Marlow September 14, 2018

Hosted Service Desk.  I have customers in my account i need to remove from my service desk project.  I am project administrator.  How do i do that?

5 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2018

@Mark Marlow, cloud or server platform?

In cloud you can go to project > project settings > People > and click Remove on the customer

people.jpgIf you want to deactivate the customer altogether your System Admin can do so as follows: jira settings > User management > Jira Service Desk > locate the user and deactivate.

Mark Marlow September 17, 2018

That answered it.  Thank you!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2018

@Mark Marlow, You are most welcome. If your question is now resolved be sure to click the checkmark above to accept solution as it helps others when they have a similar question.

Oren Ninio February 18, 2019

@Jack Brickey how can customers be removed from the system (I have a few customers that I no longer want to be able to raise issues)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2019

@Oren Ninio , did the above not work for you?

Oren Ninio February 18, 2019

@Jack Brickey  no, that view only displays admins and agents.

I would like to remove customers.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2019

so you are saying that if you go to project > settings > "People" and you select the "Service Desk Customers" for the role you don't see any customers listed?

spryce June 22, 2020

That's exactly what is happening. I have been trying to solve this for hours. I have a customer who was added to my internal and external service desks. I want to remove him from the internal desk but cannot. 

I cannot seem to get past trialling Jira Software or JSD without running into issues. It's incredibly frustrating. In fact, I cant even make replies on these forums without the reply window becoming unresponsive to the point where I need to reload the page to post. But I digress....

customers.jpgmissing-customers.jpg

Like Deleted user likes this
spryce June 22, 2020

Actually, that customers list doesn't show the real user. They were also a grey but I deleted them from the admin page to see if I could create a new account for that person. That also failed as it just re-created the same person with privileges to both service desks. 

5 votes
Joshua Buison July 22, 2022

Its here on Portal customers. 

Screenshot 2022-09-08 001110.png

QW Admin August 17, 2022

+1

Thank you!

Zdeněk October 17, 2022

Thank you! 

5 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2021

Disclaimer: I try to avoid necroposting but there are times when it makes sense. In this case I wanted to provide a more complete and up-to-date answer to this post. The answer goes beyond the OP question.

NOTE: This is a Cloud answer for Classic (soon to be renamed as Company Managed Projects)

There are three customer actions an admin can consider related to some form of customer-only-user removal:

• Remove Customer from a Project - If you want to simply remove a Customer from a specific project and not all projects where they may be participating --> As and admin from the specific project go to Project settings > People, find the Customer in the list and click on Remove at the right.
  • Revoke Customer's access from all Projects - If the Customer should no longer have access to any projects in your instance then as a site-admin click on the cog/gear settings icon in upper right, select User management then Jira Service Management. Search for the Customer and click on the ellipses on the right and select Revoke access.
  • Delete Customer account - NOTE: I rarely ever, almost never, delete accounts. I don't see the value in this. The one exception is a scenario where I have duplicates for some reason. As a site-admin click on the cog/gear settings icon in upper right, select User management then Jira Service Management. Search for the Customer and click on the ellipses on the right and select Delete Account.

BTW....here is some official documentation - add-and-remove-customers 

Tyler Lamb March 19, 2021

There are NO remove buttons in cloud.  Here is a screenshot.  This is a real problem that is delaying our release of portal.  We can't remove customers out of project customer settings.  There is no remove option anywhere.  There is no right scroll to move to the right, I have sized it down to 10% and they still are not visible.

Like # people like this
Tyler Lamb March 19, 2021

atlassian.png

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2021

@Tyler Lamb , please read my post carefully. The remove button is not in the Customer screen it is under Project settings > People screen. If you do not see the Project Settings link then you don't have the necessary project admin permissions and will need to find who does.

2021-03-19_15-09-53.jpg

Like Heydi Menéndez likes this
spryce March 19, 2021

@Jack Brickey 

There is no Project settings > People screen.

service-desk-settings.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2021

This seems to be related to the template you are using and not one I have created/seen. I recommend researching the documentation or contact support.

spryce March 19, 2021

Yes mate. That's why I went to the trouble of posting it for you. This is what you (I) get when you create a new project in the cloud. And although it is different to yours perhaps that's why there is a room full of people here, and elsewhere, that have read the documentation but can't delete customers.

Like Rafa likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2021

Probably worth a new post then. The only folks that will see this are those already involved in the post. With a new post many more fresh eyes will be involved. I have created new JSM projects within the last couple of weeks but not seeing this. Of course there are a number of templates but TBH the only one that I have seen to be very different has been ITSM. But this is Cloud and the weather changes frequently. 😜

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2021

@spryce , ok so I see what the difference is in your case. You are on a Next-gen (soon to be renamed to Team Managed Projects). I do not use NG (TMP) for any JSM projects so my knowledge is limited to the documentation and would refer you there.

In any event this thread is getting off track from OP and recommend it move to a fresh post if you need help with you NG JSM project. Cheers!

Atlassian March 30, 2021

Hi @Jack Brickey   

I would like to clarify just one thing: What you wrote related to "Remove Customer from a Project"  is valid only if the Customer permission is set on "Customer s added by agents and admins" otherwise the cancellation of the customer from the project will occur only in People section but not in Customer section2021-03-30_12h13_41.png

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2021

Thanks for posting @Gabriele Cecco . One question, when you refer to "cancellation of the customer" are you referring to the customer actually disappearing from the Customer section or actual access? TBH, I do not use "Anyone on the web" for any of my projects so have not toyed with the settings. Having said that, I have to assume that w/ that setting, removing a customer access wouldn't be viable but just my guess here based upon a 'public project' is just that - open to anyone. Again, I have not played w/ this so just adding some thoughts. Managing customers in JSM is one of the most confusing admin functions for me. :-(

Like # people like this
Jeimi Herrera July 7, 2021

Hi @Gabriele Cecco

Thanks, your answer was very helpful.

Regards

3 votes
Jamie Schwartz March 17, 2021

BTW this changed now that it's Jira Service Management. You have to go to Cog > User Management > Jira Service Management and there you'll see only the portal users that were created that are not Atlassian/jira users. 

Screenshot 2021-03-17 150124.png

Sebastian Östlund March 19, 2021

this should be the top answer

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2021

actually that is not precisely correct based upon the OP. Let me provide a more complete and "accurate at the time" answer.

Jamie A. Carpenter August 15, 2022

seconded that this should be top answer for the current Cloud setup. 'Project settings > People' only allows you to manage customers who were manually created through 'Projects > Channels & People > Customers > Add customers'. Also, in the 'Projects > Channels & People > Customers' section, you can remove a portal-only customer from an organization, but can't manage them (disable, see last login, etc.)

If you're adding customers through other means such as a sync from a CRM, 'Cog > User Management > Jira Service Management > Portal customers' seems to be the correct way. 

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2018

Mark,

How are customers coming into your service desk?

Are your the Service Desk Admin?

Are you a JIRA admin?

Victor

Mark Marlow September 14, 2018

Hey Victor - i am project administrator.  not JIRA admin.  i think some of the email came in via portal request.  Others were imported by JIRA admin.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events