Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date Picker (custom field) not pulling in automated email

Andy King June 18, 2020

Hi, 

I have been trying to use the automation builder to send an email to an individual letting them know more information about a ticket they have been allocated. In the automated email I provide information like the following:

Issue Summary - {{issue.summary}}
Contractor Full Name - {{issue.Contractor Full Name}}
Contractor Email - {{issue.Contractor Email}}
Notice Period - {{issue.Notice Period}}
Line Manager - {{issue.Line Manager.displayName}}
Agency Name - {{issue.Agency Name}}
Agency Address - {{issue.Agency Address}}

However when I try and pull a date (custom field using the date picker type) it does not work. I have check the spelling and ensuring there where no other similar named custom fields to confuse. I then tried to ensure it was being pulled in specific format incase that was the issue still nothing. Some of the things I have tried below:

{{issue.Start date}}

{{issue.Start date.value}} 

{{issue.Start date.MediumDate}}
{{issue.Start date.value.MediumDate}}
{{issue.Start date.Date.value.MediumDate}} 

{{issue.Start date.format("dd/MM/yyyy")}}

None work. 

Sorry for this, I have ensured that the field is mandatory so is not empty either. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Andy

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2020

Hello @Andy King

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Per your description, I understand you are not being able to reference a date picker custom field with the smart value in the e-mail sent from an automation rule. Is that correct?

In order to confirm you are pulling the correct date field and not another custom or system hidden field with the same name, I suggest you to use the custom field ID instead of the name to reference it in the smart value of the automation. These would be the steps:

1. In your Jira site, Go to settings (Cog icon at the top-right corner) > Issues > Custom fields
  2. Find the Date picker custom field you created > Click on ... > Edit Details
  3. In the page opened, copy the custom field ID at the final of the browser URL:
    Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 19.17.02.png
  4. Use the following smart value to reference the date picker field in your Automation rule where "xxxxx" is your custom field ID number:
    {{issue.customfield_xxxxx}}

To have more details on how you can manipulate the formats of the date field using Smart values, you can check the documentation below:

Use smart values to manipulate and format dates 

Let us know if this works for you.

Andy King June 22, 2020

Thanks this worked, seems that two custom fields have similar names and cause issued once I used the unique ID as recommended this alleviated the issue.

Thanks

Greg August 6, 2020

I think this will solve an issue I am having, but I cannot find the Issues link.  Can you help point me in the right direction?  Tx!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2020

Hello @Greg

Could you please elaborate more on the issue link you are trying to find?

In fact, provide us a step-by-step of what you are trying to find and the problem you are facing so we can have a better understanding of your issue.

P.S: Screenshots and videos are useful too. :)

Greg August 6, 2020

Hi Petter

I'm trying to take the link to a document from the custom field

2020-08-06_11-16-12.jpg

and then create a rule based on the person we want the email sent to and create the message to include the document link. 

2020-08-06_11-22-38.jpg

Thanks for looking at!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events