Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customers can't see the Description field and Attachments in their own requests

Enkhtaivan Ganbat May 6, 2018

Greetings,

Our service desk customers can't see the Description field and Attachments in their own requests and requests shared with them. But they can see comments and issue status change logs. If it's a configuration problem, where can I change it?

9 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Grant Adkins December 18, 2018

We also have this problem but with only a single issue (that we know of). The description field is not hidden in the request type config and is visible when viewed in the Jira queue but when looking at the issue from the customer portal, the description field is not visible. Other issues in the same service desk project with the same status do not have this problem.

The cause:

The issue type was originally submitted as a Bug and in the request type, the Description field is called "Symptom". An agent changed the issue type to be a New Feature (and that request type's Description field is just called "Description").

When I change the issue type back to Bug, the Details section in the customer portal displayed the description again (listed as Symptom). Changing the issue type back to New Feature hides it again. This indicates that the Service Desk bug is to do with the changed Request Type's alias for the Description field not matching the alias the field had when the issue was originally created.

I recommend standardising aliases for the description field across all request types until the Atlassian team fixes the bug.

Kerli Loopman October 7, 2020

Hi. This seems like a solution for my problem as well. How can i standardise aliases for different issue types?

Robert Bravery November 12, 2020

Yeah, I am also experiencing the same issue. Customer logs a issue vial the Portal as a bug. The agent investigates and changes the Type to Support. Then the "Show Details" is not available in the customer portal.

Changing the type back to bug, then the "Show Details" is available on the customer portal.

I don't quite understand the workaround and how to fix this. We want the types to remain changed.

1 vote
Wolff October 14, 2020

Hi All, I have spoken with Jira Support.

With us we had the follow issue and solution.

A customer was reporting a issue on the portal or by email ( Request Type = Submit a request or email request) 

Our Agent is reading the submitted request ( Issue type and request type are both = submit a request or emailed request)

Our Agent is changing the issue type to incident  ---> This made the Request type (EMPTY) 
What causes all customer didn't see the initial question and attachments - but only the comments. 

-----

Solution:

We created all Request types with every issue type. Because they are linked!!! 
So created request type = Incident, linked to issue typ Incident (Made hidden on portal) etc. 
Only we made all others Hidden in the portal. So they only see Submit Request.

When our Agent is changing the issue type- he/she also changes the Request type to the SAME. And then its visible again for all customers/ participants. 

Hope its clear. 

1 vote
Gawein Lautenslager December 19, 2018

Thanks Grant,

We came to the same conclusion.

We classify the tickets on arrival, in which we change the "Type" of the ticket (to change or incident etc).
When we do not change the status of this ticket afterwards, the application does not automatically match the "Request Type".
The request type then shows "No Match" on the right side of the active window.
And the original value in the top collumn.

Workaround (which we implement)

When we manually change the "Request Type" to the same value as the "Type" then the content is shown again.

When we change the status of the ticket afterwards, the software automatically matches the "Request type" to the "Type".

For our company these are the workarounds that work,

However, a solution that would solve this type matching, would be great, as this is something that can be forgotten

0 votes
Sreenath H B June 16, 2020

I was having this issue and the solution was way more complicated in 2020 than is described in the answer that's marked as the solution. 

In our process, we have only one type of request that customers are asked to create - A Support Request. Then the support team triages the issue and changes the issue type to the appropriate type (bug/change/improvement/new feature etc.). This then causes the Customer Request Type to have an error state - No Match. That's because the other issue types aren't matched with any customer request type.

So the solution for me was multi-fold:

1. In Request Types, enable all possible issue types and link it with a similarly named customer request type - but hide these request types from the portal so customers don't have to get paralyzed choosing one of the 6 request types and have to choose only one.

2. Now that each issue type is mapped to a request type, you can edit the fields that's visible to the customer. Note that the new UI in Jira is a bit different than show in previous replies and some of the instructions/explanation text are a bit off.

svc_desk_quirks.png

3. Existing requests don't auto update with this change - so you'll have to search for the issues using JQL with something like "project = project_key AND "Customer Request Type" is EMPTY AND issuetype = your_ssuetype" and do a bulk update on all the issues to set a Customer Request Type.

Hope this helps someone doing this in 2020. I'm on Jira Cloud.

Kerli Loopman October 13, 2020

Yep, that helped. 

0 votes
Marc Bornträger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 6, 2020

I solved this bug by adding the appropriate fields into the "visible fields" section in the request types config:

Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 19.24.32.png

0 votes
Finn Harsfort November 16, 2018

Hi,

I also discovered this error with one of our customers.

1) Customer creates a ticket with Request type = "Support"

2) Support Agent changes the issue type to "Bug"

3) The Request type is then "unknown" (JSD cannot map the Request type automatically since an Issue Type can be mapped to many Request Types.

4) The Description field is now invisible to the customer

5) If the Request type is now also altered to "Bug", the description becomes visible again 

Wolff October 7, 2020

Yes, we have the same here.
Really annoying, Customers complain about it.

Hopefully a quick fix, i dont understand the workaroud with aliassen..

0 votes
Malin November 1, 2018

@KellyW any soultion to this?

0 votes
Shimon Mazor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 22, 2018

We are also having a similar problem. Tickets used to show description in the quick view panel. @KellyW It seems like the description appears only for a mere second and then disappears. This is also something I noticed only recently, i.e. this week. 

0 votes
KellyW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2018

Hi Enkhtaivan,

JSD Project settings >> Request types: Check if Description and Attachments fields are marked as hidden fields.

Regards,
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

The Description and Attachment fields are not hidden.

KellyW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2018

Hi Enkhtaivan,

Just wanted to confirm if you have checked the hidden field for the problematic Request Type.

Another question, are the Description and Attachments fields hidden for ALL users or just a selected users.

Regards,
Kelly

How can I check it?, is it possible to hide request/issue fields from specific users?

KellyW
Atlassian Team
May 7, 2018

Hi Enkhtaivan,

Check the problematic Request Type -- example: click on 'Edit fields' associated to Technical support:ReqType.png

Confirm if there's any hidden field selected for this request type:TechSupport.png

OOTB, JIRA does not do field level security permissions -- JRASERVER-1330. However, there are third-party plugin like Field Security Plugin for Jira that can accomodate that requirement.

Regards,
Kelly

Enkhtaivan Ganbat May 8, 2018

Hi Kelly,

I've checked the request types as shown above but the Description and Attachment fields are not hidden.

Gawein Lautenslager October 2, 2018

@KellyW, We have the same issue here with a (select couple of) customer(s)

Almost all customers see this field when they click on the view request button in the notification email.

The window that opens does not show this field for (as far as i know) one customer.

I cannot reproduce this with other customers, even when adding the customer to the same rights and roles.

I am at a loss where to look next to resolve this.

Like Johannes likes this
KellyW
Atlassian Team
October 2, 2018

Hi Gawein,

I think the next step is to establish the pattern on how the problem can be reproduced, in the attempt to narrow down the problem area

Please verify the following:

• Browser-specific : The user that observed the missing Description field can reproduce the same with different internet browsers? (FireFox, Chrome, IE)
  • User-specific : If you logged in with the problematic user account, can you view the request with Description filed intact? The user that observed the issue, can reproduce the same consistently?
  • Request-specific :  Is the issue pertain to a specific request(s) for a specific project?

Regards,
Kelly

Gawein Lautenslager October 4, 2018

Hi Kelly,

I contacted the user (because it is user specific), and he told me the issue occurs with all 3 mentioned browsers.

The tickets are all logged in one specific project, but we have about 200 external users that only use this project and this is the only user who reported this issue.

He also added that this only occurs when I place a comment in one of his tickets.
When one of my colleagues places a comment the issue does not occur.

This is real weird behaviour in my humble opinion, which i cannot explain.

KellyW
Atlassian Team
November 1, 2018

Hi Gawein,

Try test with Safe Mode (JIRA Administration >> Add-ons >> Manage add-ons) to rule out if the issue is related to third-party add-ons.

Also, enable Development Tools on the browser to check on the Network trace and Console log to identify any errors in rendering the page/fields.

Regards,
Kelly

David Wanless March 2, 2022

Hi all,

We have this problem with all our users (as far as I know), and all Request Types.  The Request Types do not have Description as a hidden field.  In fact, they have no hidden fields.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

David.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events