Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer continually sends 1 star ratings - potential systems issue at their end?

Johnny Jenkins October 4, 2020

Hi,

We have a customer who comprises of two/three separate businesses and often we receive 1 star ratings from them, I've confirmed with them that they are not doing this intentionally and appears to have started from ~August 2020.

My only thought is is that they have software/systems within their environment that might probe the first URL, which is the 1 star rating URL, to see if it is legitimate or might attempt to provide a form of URL preview. Any one else come across something similar?

Thanks

5 answers

0 votes
Filipi Lima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2022

Hi, folks!

I'm the one working Sara's case from Atlassian side.

The Ratings from JSM are received when the link provided on the e-mail is accessed - this is how some anti-viruses could be accessing the link to validate it leading to unexpected results.

On a local test on Jira 8.13., I enabled access logging (on Logging and Profiling admin page) and I got logs like below for a rating of 1:

• See the rating at the end of the URL.
0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 i1012x164x1 admin [21/Jan/2022:16:52:15 -0300] "POST http://localhost:48135/j8135/rest/webResources/1.0/resources HTTP/1.1" - - - "http://localhost:48135/j8135/servicedesk/customer/portal/2/KEY-7/feedback?token=xxxxxxxxx&rating=1" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/97.0.4692.99 Safari/537.36" "14uulle"

You may grep/find "rating" on the access logs to find what ratings your Jira got that way and where it came from.

Another potential problem could be caused if you have a plugin editing the Satisfaction Date or Satisfaction custom fields which could be happening by faulty automation of scripting.

Lastly, if you're having issues with that and the increased logging doesn't bring any insight, get us a ticket so we can take a look.

0 votes
Sara Nicholson February 22, 2022

I have been working with Atlassian on this issue for about a month. They believe it is similar to this issue I found with Zendesk: 

What is likely happening in these instances is the end-user has a link expander, like an anti-virus checker, installed on their machine or running on their mail server. These programs open links in the email to verify they are not malicious. Since customer satisfaction (CSAT) ratings store the last rating link clicked, a script that clicks every link will register as a bad satisfaction response.

We have asked our customers that we are having the issue with, to check with their IT team to see if this is the case. We are also continuing to do additional logging but as of right now we may have to reach out to Adaptavist Support to further investigate. 

THIS IS THE LATEST FROM ATLASSIAN CUSTOMER SUPPORT:

Please, review the Behaviors set up for your instance - you should be able to get there through the path below:

<JIRA_BASE_URL>/plugins/servlet/scriptrunner/admin/behaviours

Please note: Troubleshooting third-party products is outside of our Atlassian Support Offerings – the suggestion above is provided as guidance and problems related to plugins are to be addressed with the respective vendor as they are best suited to help you.

If you have trouble with that, we advise you to reach out to Adaptavist support as they will provide more precise steps to guide you. They will be able to tell other possible sources of scripting that could be causing these updates.

This is relevant information to share with them: (Here they gave us info relative to our own environment). 

Not sure if this will help any of the rest of you but it may be a start? :) 

Sara

Mike Low February 23, 2022

Thanks @Sara Nicholson . From your findings is there an indicator if this is more likely anti virus or scriptrunner? Is there a jira support ticket link we can follow for this?

Thanks

Mike

Sara Nicholson February 23, 2022

Hi @Mike Low

As of right now, we are leaning toward our customers having a link expander or anti-virus checker on their side. However, we are looking into behaviors but it is product week for us (we are a software company) so we probably won't get to it for another week or so. SDS-62749 is the ticket number. 

Thanks,
Sara

Mike Low February 23, 2022

Thanks @Sara Nicholson . I've also forwarded this info to our IT team to investigate the anti virus possibility.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Low March 10, 2022

IT made a change 24 Feb and we haven't experienced this issue again. Here was the response from IT 

This looks like all internal traffic, so Mimecast shouldn’t be the causing the problem.

There is a copy that is sent to Mimecast via exchange journaling which may be subject to an Internal URL protection policy.

I have added an allowed entry [for the jira domain], lets see if this resolves the issue.

Sara Nicholson March 10, 2022

Hi @Mike Low ,

Was this your IT team that made a change on your end or was the change made on the customer side?

Thanks,
Sara

Mike Low March 10, 2022

@Sara Nicholson for us our customers are within our same network and the IT team made the change. I'd imagine the change needs to be made on IT side of the customer if your service managers/customers are on different networks.

Thanks

Mike

Sara Nicholson March 10, 2022

Great! Thanks @Mike Low !

0 votes
Mike Low February 22, 2022

Also experiencing this.

0 votes
Sara Nicholson April 28, 2021

We are having the same experience with multiple customers and cannot find a solution. This is frustrating not only us but customers as well, that don't want us to think they are not satisfied with our service. Would be great if Atlassian could provide us with some insight and how we can communicate to our customers, a way to avoid this if it is in fact happening on their end. OR if it is an @Atlassian bug, that it would get addressed quickly. :(

0 votes
Erik Mearidy February 10, 2021

I am also seeing similar behavior of receiving low CSAT scores that were not sent it by customers. @Johnny Jenkins were you able to resolve this or find anything that helped discover the culprit of the issue?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events