Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Portal Requests view

Ian Holtham April 22, 2021

I'd like to set up my Jira Service Desk project so that a customer may view all open requests via the Requests view.

I've added the "Browse Projects" permission to "Service Project Customer - Portal Access" users but no issues are being displayed in the Requests view. The issues from the Demo project are showing but not in my project.

Could someone tell me what I'm missing?

Tanks

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

Hi @Ian Holtham and welcome to the community!

The portal isn't working exactly like that. 

Yes, you require that permissions but the issue also needs to be shared with the user or with the organization of the user.

other than that, the issue also needs to have a Customer Request Type linked to it or it won't show up on the portal. (oh and also if you use security levels the customer needs access to that).

So depending on what you want:

1. a customer able to see their own issues -> customer request type
  2. a customer able to see other issues -> share with (organization or user directly)

I had hoped that any customer could see any other issue that has been raised. I guess the only way I could do that is if I could automatically add customers to my organisation and then automatically share any raised issue? I'm guessing that functionality doesn't exist

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

No indeed, by  default a customer is only limited to their own tickets (and their organization tickets).

A quick workaround/automation is indeed to

• put all your customers in a default organization.
  • create an automation rule that fills the organization field at creation too

As Jira is aimed towards multiple organizations of customers (this could also be multiple departments in your company) creating issues in the same project and not allowing them to see eachother tickets this needs to be activly changed and is not hte default behaviour.

You have to think of it as when you would log a ticket for your HR department containing sensitive data, you wouldn't want that to be auto shared with all the customers/colleagues right? This way you can actively choose to keep it private or share it with colleagues/the entire organization.

If you however wish to overwrite that, then a simple automation to set the organization field at creation should do the trick.

You will indeed still need to add each customer in to the organization.

Like # people like this
Valerie Capasso July 14, 2022

What is the correct "action" to choose when setting up an automation rule that fills the organization field at creation?

I want the rule to automatically share the ticket with a specific organization on issue creation, but I cannot figure out which action will do this.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2022

@Valerie Capasso ,

It's going to be an "edit issue" action and you'll have to modify the "organisation" field.

There is no "share action" or anything, as soon as you set the organisation field it will be shared with that organisation

Like Valerie Capasso likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2021

Hi @Ian Holtham,

I don't think what you are trying to achieve is possible. Unless all created tickets are associated with the same organization and all your users who create tickets belong to that organization.

The portal is designed to show tickets to external, unlicensed users. They can only see:

• tickets they created themselves
  • tickets explicitly shared with them by other people
  • tickets shared with the organization the user belongs to

A caveat to sharing all tickets with the same organization is also that all other users belonging to that organization will see all tickets.

For more information on organizations, see the documentation  

All my customers do belong to the same organisation (it's an internal support desk). I'd like all my users to automatically be able to see all the other raised tickets

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2021

In the general configuration of JSM (<yoursite>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/SDConfiguration.jspa) there is exactly the setting you are looking for:

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 13.39.53.png

The only thing you'll need to take care of, is that all your users are indeed associated with that one organization.

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2021

I keep forgetting about that one :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events