Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Field Smart Value

John Lord May 14, 2024

I am trying to add a custom field called "KBSF Topic" to an automation. This is a short text field. I have tried issue.customfield_KBSF Topic, issue.customfield_KBSFTopic, issue.KBSF Topic.value. What is the correct smart value? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2024

Hello @John Lord 

What type of field is it? Text, Number, User, Date, checkbox, dropdown?

How you reference it depends but usually if its Text/Number/Date field... its {{issue.KBSF Topic}} or  if its dropdown, checkbox etc its .. {{issue.KBSF Topic.value}} or if its name, its {{issue.KBSF Topic.name}} etc.

How will you know what to use to reference?

Other than knowing the type of field it is, please look through below article and it will help..

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/

If it still issues, share screenshot of the field in the issue view and we can usually tell.

Hope it helps!

Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2024

If its a text field, just try -> {{issue.KBSF Topic}}

If that does not work, we need to find the customfield value for this field.

If you dont know this field..

• Open jira and go to an issue where this field is populated (ABC-123)
  • Then open a new tab and put below URL, replace bolded parts with yours and hit enter.

https://YOURDOMAIN.net/rest/api/2/issue/ABC-123?expand=names

• If you see a JSON response, Control+F and find the field "KBSF Topic" and see what customfield is it assigned to.
  • Then use that in your smart value, such as {{issue.customfield_xxxx}}

Also, please share screenshot of the your issue where this field exists. Need to make sure field name is correct. cause it should have worked without using customfield (above steps)

John Lord May 28, 2024

That worked! thank you so much. 

Like Kalyan Sattaluri likes this
0 votes
John Lord May 14, 2024

Hi Kalyan! Thank you for the response. Your answer helped me with one formatting issue but the KBSF Topic one still is coming back blank. This custom field is a the single line text field. I added a screenshot showing my last attempt (my most recent attempt was trying the .name, I knew it wouldnt work but i just thought I would try haha)

Capture.JPG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events