Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating and Adding Object Instances to JSM Issues

Smatt September 15, 2022

Hello, 

I wonder if anyone can help me with a question I have around the creation of object instances and if that is possible within JSM without extending the native capability too much. 

My client has a requirement to use JSM as a work tracker which on the whole works well out of the box as far as we have tested it. One thing that they do want to do is be able to create and associate objects with one or more Issues and I'm not sure how best to approach this.

For example, one object class might record a "company" so they want to create a company record which might consist of a company name, street address and post / zip code. They then want to create an Issue and be able to link or associate that company object to that Issue and others.

Another object type might be a "person" so an Issue is logged and you can associate that person object to the Issue and others if they need to.

The closest thing I've seen to this is Insights where you create configuration items and can add those items to an Issue. These seem to be based on tech infrastructure but is there a  way to modify those objects to suite any use case? Perhaps there is something similar to Insights that would work better?   

Another example of what they want to do is add assessment updates to Issues. Normally in JSM you'd create a comment or worklog entry, but they want to supercharge that so there are select lists or other field types within each worklog entry. 

Any advice welcome on how we might be able to deliver this capability, either out of the box with Jira Service Management or via a marketplace add-in.

M

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

You can do this with Insight, it allows you to create objects with attributes that you can then add to any JSM request, just create a new custom field and associate it with an object type. The most common use of Insight is to store assets in it, but there are so many other use cases as well.

Smatt September 18, 2022

Thanks Mikael,

That is really helpful. So you think I should be able to modify Insight object types so that they may be used create custom instances of almost anything with custom fields?

Do you know if the creation of new objects / config items can be delegated to the project level? Working with a shared instance here and need the project users / admins to be able to create these new object instances. Not necessarily the templates but certainly the individual instances of say a new company or person profile. 

M

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events