Create new user group who can only view one issue type and nothing else in the existing Project

Jatin Patel April 29, 2022

I have a Jira Project which our department uses. There are lots of different issue types available. All current members of the department are able to browse the existing issue types. 

We now have a new task that we want to manage in Jira, and are in the process of setting up a new Issue Type, Workflow etc for this new task called "Workstream XYZ". However, Workstream XYZ involves another team from an external department. So we need to grant access to this new team to our Jira environment. However, we do not want that new team to be able to view/browse all the existing Issue Types. We only want them to be able to view Issue Type Workstream XYZ. 

Could anyone advise on the best way to go about doing that? 

Thanks very much

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

@Jatin Patel -

The best way to implement what you want achieved is establishing Issue Security configuration setup.  Once an issue is tagged with a specific security level, then only users associated with that security level will be able to discover/access those specific issues.

Here is the documentation on Issue Security in Jira for your reference - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-issue-level-security-938847117.html

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Jatin Patel May 9, 2022

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin Thanks for the response. 

Apologies for the delay. 

I have followed the link you shared but have a few questions.

1. Can I assign an Issue Security Scheme to a single Issue Type (rather than the entire Project)?

2. Is the best option to create a new Project for Workstream XYZ, in which there is only one Issue Type? 

Thanks for your support. 

Jatin

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2022

@Jatin Patel -

Issue Security is applied at the project level and not just for a single issue type within your project.  However it is up to you on which issue in your project that you want to assign the security level.

Since it is at the project level setup and your new project only have one issue type, then you can set the Issue Security configuration (i.e create a default level to be applied to all issues created in your new project.  

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Jatin Patel May 11, 2022

Thank you - I will try that now. Thanks for your help.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

No, there's no way to do that directly.

What you can do is hide the issues that are created with the "wrong" type.

Let's imagine you've got some users - Alice, and Bob, and issue types Cat and Dog.  Bob is scared of dogs, so they should not see Dogs. 

• Set up the project for them, giving them both at least Create and View permissions in the project.
  • When setting up the project, make sure the "level" or "security level" field is on the create (and probably edit) screens.
  • Create a "Security scheme" to apply to the project.  The most simple implementation for you here is to add one "level" to it, let's call it "not-dog". 
  • Set a single rule in not-dog that says just user: Alice
  • Finally, add an automation or post-function that only applies to Dogs - it should set the security level to not-dog when a new dog issue is created

Now, when Alice or Bob try to create an issue, they will both be able to create issues of type Cat or Dog.  But if they create an issue of type Dog, Bob will not be able to see it.

Jatin Patel May 11, 2022

Thank you Nic, very useful pointers. Thanks for the help. 

Donika Pacolli February 20, 2023

@Nic Brough @Joseph Chung Yin Should i create the 'security level' field myself or does the field already exist? It does not exist in my Jira ITSM. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2023

Hi @Donika Pacolli , 

No, there's nothing to create, but yes, you are right in that there's other stuff you will need to do to make it work.  The security level is a system field, not a type of custom field, but it won't get used until you deliberately tell Jira to use it.

Note that this only applies to Server, DC, and Company-managed Projects on Cloud.  (Team-managed projects on Cloud don't have security) 

Jira has been a little inconsistent in the past, and you might find that the field is called "security level" in some places and just "level" in others (in the UI and the online docs)

To use a security level, there are many things to consider and configure, but I'll try to keep it short.  You need:

• a security scheme, which you have told the project to use
  • project permissions for people to be able to set the security level(s)
  • people set up so that they are included in levels (people can only set a level that they are in)
  • the security level field on the create and/or edit screen

By default, Jira does include the level on create/edit screens, but it does not default security schemes, so the field is hidden until you add a security scheme to the project.

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2023

@Donika Pacolli -

Hi Donika:

No, you don't need to create any field to support issue security implementation.  Please review the following reference on issue security setup and usage -

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-issue-security-schemes/

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
varun k July 25, 2022

Hi Jatin,

I am facing similar issue. I want to have a new issue type "Apples" and a new group "Steves" and I want "Steves" to have access to issue type "Apples" only and not to other issue types (like epic, feature, user stories, sub-tasks etc)

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2022

@varun k -

Welcome to the community.  Please see my suggestions to Jatin on using Issue Security to lock-down visibility of issues in this case.

Hope this helps you too.

Best, Joseph

Jatin Patel July 25, 2022

@varun k 

Joseph's advice helped me find a solution. I created a new project and created the new issue type and user group in the new project as we needed the workstream to be completely separate. 

varun k July 25, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin @Jatin Patel Thanks. I think this will do the trick.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

@varun k / @Jatin Patel -

Excellent.  Please click on Accept answer associated to my original comments when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events