Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a priority matrix using impact and urgency values - Next-gen Service Desk

antony_major March 20, 2020

I've been trying to setup our next-gen Service Desk so that the priority is automatically assigned based upon impact and urgency. I've attempted to create a workflow to reflect this, but the instructions only reflect how to do this in the previous generation of the Jira Service Desk. The part which is unclear to me is how to setup the workflow. The automation side of it should be okay, but I'm currently not able to set custom rule to to edit the priority (as the option isn't available) due to the absence of the matrix. 

Is anyone able to  help, please? 

1 answer

2 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2020

Hello @antony_major

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Per your description, I understand that you would like to set the priority of the issues in your next-gen projects automatically based on the values chosen for two fields: Urgency and Impact. Is that correct?

If that's the case, I believe you can use only Automation for Jira cloud to achieve your need, not needing any workflow changes. Allow me to explain:

You can create two automation rules (Under project settings > Project Automation) that should be triggered when either one of the fields (Impact or Urgency) are filled, however, using conditions that only apply the priority update if both fields are filled with specific values. Check below two examples:

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 18.02.56.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-24 at 18.03.36.png

Using the rules above, the automation will be triggered whenever the Urgency or Impact are filled, however, it will only add any value to the priority field when both fields are filled, where you should be able to create different combinations to define the priority field.

For more information about Automation for Jira, check the documentation below:

Jira automation 

Let us know if this information helps.

antony_major March 25, 2020

Many thanks for sharing this with me. It is a great help. However, I'm currently looking at creating the SLA matrix initially and for the workflow to set the priority automatically based upon urgency and impact. The urgency and impact would be complete by the end-user in the self-service portal. I would like the workflow to then calculate the priority based upon what has been entered. There are details on how to do this in the "last gen" Service Desk, but not the next gen. 

Like Michael Santinon likes this
Jon W June 1, 2021

How would you compare this method to the Best Practice listed for Service Management at https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/how-impact-and-urgency-are-used-to-calculate-priority/ ?  Is there something about either method that makes one better for use in a Work Management project?

Richard Zwiers September 2, 2022

Thanks for the automation explanation. This worked for us!

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
JM February 7, 2023

@Petter Gonçalves -- Hoping you can assist me and I can append to here as its a similar issue. I'm not able to successfully run a variation of this rule (urgency/impact are required values, so the rule runs on issue creation). However, the only useful information I had in the audit logs was this: 

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 3.08.00 PM.jpg

Initially, there were 2 custom fields named "Impact". I renamed the other field to avoid this and reattempted, but with the same message in the logs. But perhaps this is becuase there is a background indexing still occurring? 

Here is part of my rule automation. when testing, I used Urgency: 5 / Impact: 5, which should be captured in the first If block. 

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 3.04.11 PM.jpg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events