Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a customer account on ticket response email

Josh Mohan February 8, 2021

We have what may be an odd use case for JSM - The 'customer' that submits a ticket will be an email group (tickets are submitted through an API call from an internal portal), but people in that email group will respond to the ticket. If the person responding does not already have a customer account, the comment on the ticket will not be posted.

How do I fix this? I tried going to System > incoming mail > mail handlers, and changing 'create users' from false to true, although this does not seem to have fixed the issue.

I would like responses from email addresses that do not have customer accounts to both post comments on tickets, and create the customer account as well, is this possible?

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

First, is this JSM or JSW? If JSM you do not use “System > incoming mail > mail handlers” rather you use project settings > email requests. Second as @mogavenasan a mentioned for the comment to be added the from address must resolve to an existing customer if you have the permissions test to only those my agents add OR you need to leave the project open and create new customers automatically when the email in the first time.

0 votes
mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2021

Hi @Josh Mohan,

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

If the person responding does not already have a customer account, the comment on the ticket will not be posted.

It looks like the Global customer permissions are set not to allow customers to create their own accounts. 

How do I fix this? I tried going to System > incoming mail > mail handlers, and changing 'create users' from false to true, although this does not seem to have fixed the issue.

This is not the way to set Incoming Mail for a JSM project. By right, we should be using Email requests for the JSM project.

Josh Mohan February 9, 2021

Hello,

I changed that global customer permission to allow customers to create their own accounts:image.png

but that does not seem to have worked as intended. This works fine when customers send a request into the service desk through email for the first time, but my use case was that a request will be created through the API, then when an operator on the service desk reaches out through email, the email that responds for comment does not have an account. In this case the comment is not posted and the account is not created. 

Is this possible to do?

mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2021

I think there are a couple of things that I need to clarify with you:

1. request will be created through the API
    Please elaborate more on this. I was under impression that we are talking about the issue creation and issue updates are being done via email.
  2. when an operator on the service desk reaches out through email, the email that responds for comment does not have an account.
    Can I know if we are referring to the JSM agent's email or the JSM customer's email here?

Lastly:

This is not the way to set Incoming Mail for a JSM project. By right, we should be using Email requests for the JSM project.

Josh Mohan February 9, 2021

Please elaborate more on this. I was under impression that we are talking about the issue creation and issue updates are being done via email.

Apologies, the issue isn't creating tickets through email, it's responding to existing tickets through email.

Can I know if we are referring to the JSM agent's email or the JSM customer's email here?

The JSM customer's email.

So my flow is: A ticket gets created, the original 'customer' is an email group, and when an operator reaches out for additional info (to said email group, since that's the customer on the ticket), anyone within that email group might reply, and they might not have a customer account. When they do not have a customer account, no comment is added to the ticket. That is what I would like to change.

If they send a direct email to the helpdesk, sure that will post and a customer account will be created, but that isn't what i'm having issues with.

mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2021

So my flow is: A ticket gets created, the original 'customer' is an email group, and when an operator reaches out for additional info (to said email group, since that's the customer on the ticket), anyone within that email group might reply, and they might not have a customer account. When they do not have a customer account, no comment is added to the ticket. That is what I would like to change.

It sounds like JSM is not even processing the email. Have you tested this flow with someone that already has a JSM customer account?

You will also need to change the Mail Handler type, have you tested that one? It's being mentioned a few times already:

Josh Mohan February 10, 2021

It sounds like JSM is not even processing the email. Have you tested this flow with someone that already has a JSM customer account?

Yes! I have, and it works normally, as long as they have a customer account or they are the one making the request. 

You will also need to change the Mail Handler type, have you tested that one? It's being mentioned a few times already:

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're pointing me to correctly - incoming mail works perfectly fine in JSM, other than the case where a non signed up user attempts to comment on an issue through email.

mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2021

There will be a bunch of things broken if you use the native Mail Handler for JSM projects. The correct way is to set up the Email requests for JSM projects.

What you are seeing right now could be one of the problems caused by the way the Mail Handler is being set up.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events