Content ideas for the parent page

Laura Sands January 8, 2020

Hi there!

I have recently discovered that the parent page that JSD automatically creates when setting up the linked Confluence project shows up in search results on the Help Desk. 

What type of content does anyone else put in that page so that when it is found, it is not empty or confusing for users as to what they must do next?

In other words, what have you done creatively or as a test with your 'floating parent page' that has had successful results? Have you used any interesting macros or templates, given instructions, listed hot pages, etc.? I don't want to have to worry too much about keeping the page updated manually but I'm happy to hear all suggestions.

I appreciate any thoughtful ideas!

1 comment

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

Hi @Laura Sands 

You are right and it is a very good question because inquisitive minds tend to search for stuff no one would normally search for...

Here are my tips: 

1. Name the page something completely unrelated to the customer portal, that will unlikely to be ever searched. 
  2. I add a macro called Content by Label onto the page and it therefore shows a list of all the knowledge base posts ever published for the customer. 
    1. Yes, this can be a big page, but it can also be helpful for the customer to find other pages they might never have thought of searching. 
    2. In the macro I also enable Show Labels, so that other labels are visible. 
  3. I also have a Browse by Topic (Label List) visible at the bottom. Again a useful index of labels a customer can click on to find related pages. 
  4. I also provide a live search, so they have the option to continue searching, without the need to go back a few pages. 
  5. Finally I also have a Recently Updated macro, so the customers can see if any pages have been updated. We are constantly updating our knowledge. 

One thing to bear in mind, you don't want to be adding columns or page layouts because the page in the Customer Portal is 800px wide. 100px on the left side of the page, 600px for the content and 100px on the ride side of the page. Page Layouts will make it look messy. 

-Mike

Like # people like this
Laura Sands January 9, 2020

Thank you @Mike Bowen

These are all excellent ideas and tips. :)

Laura

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events