Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting JSD Cloud and Jira Software Cloud

Sam Starett July 21, 2020

We have JSD Cloud and Jira Software Cloud, I worked to merge the two so that they are now on the same Org. That said I'm trying to figure out how to do a few things, here are some details.

1) I want to get JSD Cloud issues into Jira Software Cloud so they can be properly sprinted.

• Need to be able to get these tickets into boards on Jira Software
  • I'd like to see all JSD tickets enter into a backlog in Jira Software for a specific project
  • The users are all the same across both products except one person
  • All users in JSD are Agents, with the exception of myself and one other that is an ADMIN like myself

2) All of our JSD Cloud projects are Service Desk Projects

• One of the items I'm unsure of is Request Types vs Issue Types in terms of JSD vs Jira Software

3) The Project I wish to use is a Project Type of Software. (Classic)

I've looked up tons of different answers but they really are not consistent and of the few solutions I've attempted they've not worked or made sense. I'm extremely new to Admin'ing for Jira, I've primarily been the Admin for our JSD and learned it over the last 3 months. So I do have a decent grasp of the Jira Service Desk admin piece.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2020

Hello @Sam Starett

Thank you for reaching out.

When you say both Jira Software and Service desk are in the same Org, can you confirm if they are also on the same site? I mean, can you see both SD and Software projects using the same base URL?

If they have the same users and you want to integrate both Software and Service desk applications, it makes more sense to use both apps on the same site.

Supposing both applications are on the same site, I'll provide you further details about each topic of your question so we can confirm we are on the same page here:

• Need to be able to get these tickets into boards on Jira Software
  • I'd like to see all JSD tickets enter into a backlog in Jira Software for a specific project

The boards of Classic Software projects in Jira Cloud display issues based on a JQL filter. That being said, you can edit that board filter to properly display/report tickets from a different project, including the tickets from your Service desk Project.

Once you edit the filter to include the SD tickets, go to your board > ... > Board settings > Columns to map the statuses of your SD tickets for each board column or in the backlog.

You can check the links below for more details on how you can achieve it:

Editing a board's filter 

What is advanced searching in Jira Cloud? - JQL 

• The users are all the same across both products except one person
  • All users in JSD are Agents, with the exception of myself and one other that is an ADMIN like myself

That makes things even easier to manage the Service desk tickets in Jira software. I just would like to mention that the person that does not have access to both projects might not see the features related to that specific product missing for him (Reports, customer-facing comments, Boards, etc), although they will be able to access the tickets on both projects if the project permissions are properly configured.

) All of our JSD Cloud projects are Service Desk Projects

• One of the items I'm unsure of is Request Types vs Issue Types in terms of JSD vs Jira Software

JSD means "Jira Service desk", so I must confess that I didn't understand the first sentence of the Statement above. Do you mean anything else by "JSD"?

About the second statement, Request types are only used to allow the displaying of Jira Service desk issues in the customer portal, so they do not have any impact/function in Jira Software projects. 

Basically, you will use request types to enable the interaction with your SD customers, but they will not have any impact on your Software project.

The Project I wish to use is a Project Type of Software. (Classic)

Indeed, the steps provided above can only be applied in a Classic Project of Jira Software, since Next-gen projects do not allow you to edit board filters to include other projects.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Sam Starett July 24, 2020

Thank you for your response @Petter Gonçalves 

1) It is under the same org, but the domain changes based on the product so I'm assuming there is something else I need to do to actually combine these? So we do in fact have two domains for each product.

2) I can say the products were initially purchased separately as we did not have a full time Jira Admin who understood the appropriate process for these tools. I've only learned JSD administration in the last 4 months.

Before we move on to your other points should I be contacting Atlassian in order to get these all on the same SITE? Because it would then make sense why the instructions I had didn't work, as they don't communicate.

_______

- JSD means "Jira Service desk", so I must confess that I didn't understand the first sentence of the Statement above. Do you mean anything else by "JSD"? No sir, I did in fact mean the Jira Service Desk.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2020

Hello @Sam Starett

Thank you for the provided details.

Indeed, the best way to integrate both Jira Software and Service desk in the way you need would be by adding both applications on the same site.

To do it, you must move the projects/issues from one site to another and sign-up to the missing product in the chosen site, as described in the documentation below:

Merge multiple instances of Jira Cloud

Since you already have data on both sites, there are three approaches to merge the sites and achieve your need:

1. Import to Jira Server and use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant

2. Merge multiple sites in Jira Server
  3. Import issues using CSV

Please, take a look at the documentation provided and let us know if you need more details about any of the approaches suggested.

Sam Starett July 28, 2020

@Petter Gonçalvesis there any chance of getting an assist from Atlassian? I'm very new to Administrating on Jira and I thought I'd done this process when I merged our two instances into one org. But I now understand from what you are saying that I only merged at the org level, and the two products need to exist on the same instance (URL/Domain) which makes sense of course.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
July 29, 2020

Hello @Sam Starett

You can absolutely open an internal ticket with Atlassian to get further assistance with the migration process:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact 

Once you choose which approach you want to follow, we can properly guide you through each step.

Sam Starett August 4, 2020

@Petter GonçalvesThank you so much for all your help, I submitted a ticket with Atlassian to help us get more info on the migration. They've even suggested another work around for us so we are going to look into this as well.  Thank you again for all your help.

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
August 4, 2020

You are welcome, @Sam Starett

If possible, please describe the workaround suggested in this community question, so it might help other users in the community looking for the same feature.

Thanks!

Like Sam Starett likes this

@Petter Gonçalves 

1. One item that might be worth looking into is the Issue SYNC - Integration for Jira app in the Atlassian Marketplace. Perhaps see if this can work for what you need prior to putting in the effort for a migration.
Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2020

To add on that, @Sam Starett - there are also other apps like Issue SYNC, you can find them if you search for issue sync in the Atlassian Marketplace, so you can choose which app suits your needs best if you decide to go down that path.

PS: I'm part of the team behind Backbone Issue Sync.

Like # people like this

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_I like the look of Backbone versus Issue Synce as it is more geared toward various departments utilizing different Atlassian tools. You maybe have some time to discuss this tool with me over a call?

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2020

@Sam Starett - of course, we'd be happy to talk with you about it. Please request a demo via our product page - and my colleague, @Liset de Bruin _K15t_, will arrange a call with you.

Like Liset de Bruin _K15t_ likes this
Sam Starett August 14, 2020

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_I submitted my demo request but did not get my confirmation email or any other contact. Can you check on this for me please?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events