Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure more than 100 queues in JSM Data center

Malin Fremnell May 15, 2023

Hi Community.

I would like to get some tips on best practice when it comes to queues in Jira service management data center. If you have a large number of support teams, about 150 and plan to work in different queues, how should you best handle this in a queue structure? It feels like it will be a lot to have 150 queues in the queue struture. And to my knowledge you can not star your queues in Data Center as you can do in JSM Cloud.

What would best practice be in JSM DC?

Could you instead have one queue for all these 150 support teams and then make a configure solution according to best practice?

In this case, we prefer not to primarily use dashboards but want to work according to jira best practice.

Do you have any tips?

//Malin

2 answers

2 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

@Malin Fremnell Can you share a little bit more about your current setup. 

• What are you supporting that has 150 teams?
  • Do you have a single service management project for all of your service requests?  Is there a reason why you have structured it this way instead of multiple service desks?
  • Do the teams regularly work together to resolve issues?
  • How does the intake to resolution process work?
Malin Fremnell May 17, 2023

Hi Brant .

Its a single service management IT project for all Service request, that we want to set up and see if it could work with this 150 supportteams in a queue structure. 

best 
Malin 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2023

@Malin Fremnell Unless there is a business requirement I would recommend against this.  Jira Service Management has a top-level called Help Center that all service management projects feed into.  This allows you to have multiple projects for your teams on the backend but only one place for customers to go.  This would allow you to take the 150 queues and break them down into groupings that would allow you to have teams combined that make sense and have a manageable queue listing for agents. 

You could go the route of having one project with 150 queues because JSM allows for 150 but it becomes very difficult for agents to find what they are looking for.  I am still interested in learning more about how you plan on supporting your customers through the service desk, what you support there, your internal BPs for support, how your teams collaborate, etc.  There might be a business case to have them all combined but there might be one to have them separated as well.  

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2023

Hi @Malin Fremnell

I'd also be curious about the things that Brant asked above - but to offer a solution for what you described initially, I believe this could work very using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. Since JXL also supports all JSM fields, and every JXL sheet is powered by a JQL statement, many of our customers use JXL sheet(s) as a somewhat "supercharged" alternative to Jira's built-in queues. With regards to the scalability issues that come with 150 queues/teams, I could think of different strategies within JXL; 

• With JXL's strong in-sheet filtering capabilities, you might be able to have one single sheet that is then filtered down by the various teams to exactly their issues. These filters are saved for every user, so whenever an agent would visit their sheet, they'd see their team's issues.
  • JXL supports "starring" sheets, so even if you'd decide to go with a larger amount of sheets, it would be easy for agents to find the ones that are relevant to them.

This is how JXL looks in action:

jsm-filtering-by-team.gif

Note that JXL can do much more than that: From support for configurable issue hierarchies, to issue grouping, sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

Since you've tagged your question for Jira Server: As you may have heard, apps sales have ended for Jira Server. Are you planning to migrate to Data Center or Cloud? I'd strongly recommend that. If you need some more time, JXL is perfectly compatible with Jira Server; it's just that we need to generate a license for you. If the above looks interesting, just let me know, and I'll happily start a free trial for you.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Malin Fremnell May 17, 2023

Thanks, Hannes, for that tip. I will look into it. 

No, its JSM Data center. The tag for server was a mistake. 

Best,
Malin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events