Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure field security permission

S October 19, 2020

Hi,

Is if possible to configure or restrict users that don't belong to certain role from editing certain fields on Issues?

For e.g. User in Quality role can only edit "Defect Comment field"

Users in Logistics shouldn't be allowed to edit "defect comment feild"

Any reference link will be very helpful... I'm using JSD Cloud.

Thanks for help

S

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2020

Jira does not have field level security.

The best you can do is move it into the workflow (so people have to use the workflow to get to edit fields, and the workflow can have "conditions" that can protect the edits)

S October 21, 2020

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I'm looking for a reference article / implementation example, if you are aware of any please share... thanks

I've used conditions in WF for roles but not sure how can field be implemented.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2020

Ok, so if I were to do this from scratch, I would

• Choose my field that I want to protect.  Let's call it "Pet-type"
  • Create four new screens (making liberal use of copy), with names and content such as:
    • Screen-c: Has all the fields I want the users to give me when creating an issue (maybe including pet-type)
    • Screen-e: Does not have pet-type on it
    • Screen-l: Definitely has pet-type on it
    • Screen-T: Has only pet-type on it
  • Then you set up a screen scheme that says
    • Create: Screen-c
    • Edit: Screen-e
    • View: Screen-l
  • And use that in the issue type screen scheme for whatever issue types you want to protect pet-type for
  • Now edit the workflow, and for every status that you want to allow edit of pet-type in, add a transition that goes back to the same status with:
    • Name: edit pet-type
    • Screen: Screen-T
    • Condition(s): Only group or role X can use this transition

You'll now find that people who match the condition can "edit" the pet-type.  Downside is it litters the history with "status changed" when it didn't, and you have to tell your people to look in the workflow for editing it.

Like # people like this
S October 24, 2020

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- its a good curve ball!

1 vote
Takafumi Ohtake -Ricksoft-
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 3, 2021

Currently, there are apps that enable "field level security" for Jira Cloud.

Field Level Security Apps for Jira Cloud 

With the apps, You can hide fields and make fields read-only based on user, group, project role, and so on.

However, if you just want to make fields read-only and you don't mind complicated configurations and UI, the workflow solution that Nic explains is the best solution.

If you want to hide fields, I think the current solution for Jira Cloud is to use one of the apps.

(Please note that I'm one of the folks behind Ricksoft that is the vendor of one of the apps.)

1 vote
Peter Atthem August 23, 2021

Hi,

You can now use Protected Fields: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1226228/protected-fields?hosting=cloud&tab=overview to managed View / Edit permission for fields.

Note it works in the new Issue View / Editor.

Best regards

Peter

Brooke September 21, 2021

Hi Peter, does this work with team-managed (next-gen) projects? 

Thank you

Brooke

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events