Component or category?

Jim Stewart October 30, 2020

We have a disagreement over in our shop about the best way to set up the following scenario. It's this:

We will have three help desks, IT, Facilities, and HR. Just drilling down further into IT as an example, that will be divided into 4 subdivisions - IT General, IT security, IT applications, IT onboarding. Each one of those will have an "Owner" to whom notifications will be routed. 

But here's the question - are those four subdivisions best set up as components or categories? I think it's components but it's a little unclear as to the difference that and categories. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

Hi @Jim Stewart 

Using Components will meet your needs in such scenario.

Components are subsections of a project. They are used to group issues within a project into smaller parts. You can set a default assignee for a component. This will override the project's default assignee, for issues in that component.

Since in your case the four subdivisions are part of "IT" and each will have an "Owner" / default assignee, components are best suited for you.

Jim Stewart October 30, 2020

Ha! I was right. I came down on the component side of the argument. Thanks. 

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

Hi @Jim Stewart , 

Don't forget to accept the answer if this question has been correctly answered.

This helps users with similar query in future.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events