Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check if Customer exists

Anthony Polakos February 22, 2019

Using a custom field for email or name, can I check if a customer already exists in my service desk as a condition before trying to add them as a customer?

2 answers

0 votes
Scott Harwood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2019

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I am guessing that your potential customer details are being stored in a custom field? What custom field type is this? If it is a user custom field then you can use the User condition inside of Automation for Jira to check if the user is a customer. 

Let me know where the "user" details are coming from and I should be able to assist further. Perhaps try and get in contact with us at support though so you can share a little more about your instance.

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1

Cheers,

Scott

Anthony Polakos February 25, 2019

Hi Scott,

I have a custom field for email address and name.  I'll shoot you a support request as well.

David Loszewski June 23, 2021

@Anthony Polakos did you find a solution for this?  I'm looking for a similar one. 

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2019

Hi @Anthony Polakos 

May I ask how you are adding users?

Normally, JSD should do the above automatically when it is creating users.

Please confirm the above.

Thanks.

Anthony Polakos February 22, 2019

Sure, sorry that would have helped.

Right now I use a custom form (another Jira plugin - Relay Intake Forms) to submit issues to our production department. 

1. It uses an specific app user as the reporter of the issue
  2. I use an automation to use the customfields for client email & name to create a customer.
  3. In the same automation, I edit the reporter field and add the new customer as the reporter.

Where it breaks down is if the customer already exists....the automation fails after trying to add the new customer because they already exist.

My thought would be to have a condition to check if the customer already exists before trying to add them.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2019

I don’t know how you are running the automation or the exact add-on however if the users email address is their username as well you can try unning an If statement to see if it gets any results other than null.

If this fails then you can trigger create user then before you perform add user as reporter.

I have seen email this issue perform the above seamlessly but with some scripting you can achieve this as well.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2019

@Anthony Polakos 

As far as I know, Raley Intake Forms does it for you - it checks if the customer by email exists, and it not then creates a "customer" account in JSD and then creates a support request

Why would you need to check this yourself?

Anthony Polakos February 25, 2019

Unfortunately, that is not currently working with their app.  I was informed that the recent GDPR changes have broken that logic.  So if a customer already exists, the form throws an error and does not submit.

Like John Gasper likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events