Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete Service Desk attachments on NEW Jira View

Michael Sheehan February 1, 2021

Hi,

We recently moved over to the new Jira view. For some reason, we cannot delete our own attachments from the attachments section. See screenshot attached.

Cannot Delete Attachments.png

The deletion works fine when we switch back to the old Jira view. This is not a permissions issue as I am an admin on the project with full permissions. 

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Michael

3 answers

0 votes
Brian Sweet July 28, 2021

This happens with Jira Work Management (cloud).

If files are uploaded within a comment, the files are added to the attachments list but they cannot be deleted in the new issue view.

To delete comment-uploaded files, you have to edit a comment and remove each file from it. OR, switch to the old issue view (which is still more efficient, has a better layout, etc.).

Files uploaded directly to the attachments list can always be deleted, regardless of old or new view.

Another weird decision by Atlassian...

0 votes

I didn't mean to add this update as an answer, but I think I now know the issue (possible defect)

- Attachments added while creating tickets > no issues deleting afterwards

- Attachments added to existing tickets (via new or old view) > cannot delete via new view

- Attachments added to existing tickets (via new or old view) > can delete via old view

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

I am seeing the trashcan on my view. I would say that you don’t have the permissions to delete the attachment but you do say you can switch to old view and delete. If indeed all things are equal here (same project, same issue, same attachment) then something is amiss. Can you verify this behavior on other project? Another browser? Another user? If so this might be a regression in your instance and may require Atlassian Support investigation.

81305B39-7D56-48C0-9788-E33774C1BB46.jpeg

Hi Jack,

Please see below screenshots:

Old View - Can delete both attachments fine:
Old View - Can Delete.png

Permission Helper - No Issues Found:

Permission Helper.png

Just to state also, it's intermittent across attachments. We can delete some but not others. However we cannot find any trend at all. It's like we can delete some of our own attachments but not others. Likewise, we can delete some of the other agent's attachments but not all.

I have tried another browser (Edge) same issue. I have one other person working with me with the same admin permissions and he is having the same problem.

Thanks,
Michael

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

One test I would suggest is to create a test issue and add an attachment (of type that is suspect) then in NIV try to delete. My only guess at this point is delete own attachment vs. attachment added by other user or a regression requiring Atlassian support. Might be some other cause but can’t think of anything ATM.

Round of testing complete:

- Attachments added 
while creating tickets > no issues deleting afterwards

- Attachments added to existing tickets (via new or old view) > cannot delete via new view

- Attachments added to existing tickets (via new or old view) > can delete via old view

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

something is tickling my memory banks here but I can't bring it out of the cobwebs at the moment (working other things). However, I am not able to reproduce the behavior as you describe. How are you adding attachments exactly? You certainly can raise an inquiry with Atlassian Support.

We just use the attachments button, which always seems to add them as a comment also (a feature which I'm not a fan of).

Is there another way to attach other than the below?

Attachments Process.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

BINGO! So, it you are adding via the Comment then you will only see the "watch" and "download" icons. If you want to delete an attachment made in a comment you must edit the comment and trash the file there. If you add the attachment to the issue outside of a comment then it will be deletable.

Like # people like this

While I had a feeling it was related to something with the comments process, we can't see any other method to add attachments to issues on Jira Service Desk Cloud (New View).

I've done some quick research just now and even using the support documentation, the only way mentioned is using the comment box. See below:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/attach-files-and-screenshots-to-issues/

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

methods:

• drag a file onto the issue detail view
  • click on the paperclip Attach icon at the top of the issue view
  • attach as file to a comment

once you have at least one attachment the Attachments section will be present and it provides a 4th means of adding via the "+" icon. See my previous image.

That's how we always did it on the old view, however, on the new view it's not working like that..

Drag a file onto the issue detail view:
When dropped anywhere on the screen, it always drops into the comment box

Click on the paperclip Attach icon at the top of the issue view:  
We aren't seeing any (see screenshot below)

"+" icon:
We don't have that either, see my images above

... based on all that. Are we missing some sort of config / setting that needs to be enabled for attachments to work as expected on the new Jira view?

New Jira View.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

ah geez Michael, i'm so sorry. I got off track here and was thinking JSW not JSM which is indeed different and behaves as you describe. You must delete w/in the comment. I would indeed reach out to Atlassian to get their response. I took a look at JAC but did not find any reported suggestion.

That's no problem Jack, I appreciate your help at the same time. At least you have eased our fears that it was something we were doing wrong!

Adding and deleting via comments is poor functionality. If I added 5 attachments at once, then I wouldn't be able to delete just one of them, would need to delete all 5.

Thanks again ! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events