Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you exclude certain email addresses from notification schemes in JIRA Service Desk?

Elyse De Laittre May 31, 2018

We have many issues that get created from system emails...safety@example.com, safety-no-reply@example.com. Is there anyway to prevent notification emails sent back to these accounts? In addition, if there are certain users we don't want to be notified, can we specify a list of emails? 

Thanks!

4 answers

3 votes
Dirk Schaare October 24, 2019

I found that handling email in JSD lacks some very basic features. The suggested workarounds may be valid, but involve implementing of automation rules or other detours. Why can't I simply opt-out customers? In the case of system generated or no-reply emails, there should be an option to activate the opt-out on behalf of the (not existing) customer with a simple click. Setting the customer account to disabled as suggested by Andy Heinzer is no solution, as no more tickets would be created. We use this option only for Spammers because there is no other useful way to clean up SPAM tickets without notifying the Spammer.

It would be great if Atlassian could consider these features for future releases.

Thanks,
Dirk

Kent May 26, 2020

Fully agree!

3 votes
Carson Bain November 14, 2018

I had this same problem and resolved it by first turning off the "Request Created" Customer Notification in the Service Desk project, and then creating an Automation ("Project Settings" > "Automations")where the rules were:

• When this happens: Issue Created
  • If these match: reporter != *insert your desired email address to exclude here* (you'll have to click "Advanced" to type in the JQL for this)
  • Then do this: Send Email (you can put "Reporter (customer)" in the "To" field, and then type in your body text for the Request Received email you want to send.

This will send the same email that you send out for Request Recieved notification to everyone except the email address(es) that you have defined in the "If These Match" rule. 

ensemblebd April 5, 2020

good job friend. Works in 2020 too. 
Many thanks!

Susanne Wärme October 19, 2020

Hi, I´we tryed to config your solution above but can´t find any opportunity to config 

suggested

• Then do this: Send Email (you can put "Reporter (customer)" in the "To" field, and then type in your body text for the Request Received email you want to send.

I´m in admin site and "automations" created 

"when issue created"

"If issue matches : reporter != noreply" (query validated)

after that I can´t find out how to config the last

"Then do this: Send Email (you can put "Reporter (customer)" in the "To" field, and then type in your body text for the Request Received email you want to send"

Could anyone explain ? 

I´m on server instance Software JSD v8.4.1 and JSD  v4.4.1

0 votes
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2018

It's a bit overkill for this feature, but if you were using JEMH (our addon) for outbound mail sending you could then apply various regular expressions to match system recipients that should not be notified. eg: .*-no-reply@.*

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2018

You could create a dummy account in Jira for a user with that exact email address, and then deactivate the account.   Jira won't send email notifications to any user with an inactive account, but that goes for the entire Jira site, which means not just service desk projects.   I would only suggest this course of action for email accounts that are not actually involved in using Jira at all.

Also this has another side effect of not processing any inbound email messages to Jira that come from those specific addresses.   That might not be a big deal, but just something to consider if you go down that specific route.

As for other individuals that don't wish to be notified on a particular request, it depends on what version of Service Desk you're using, but this is something that user should be able to disable on a per request basis if they like.   The older version of Service Desk did not have this feature, but at least since JSD started allowing admins to create custom notifications, there do appear to be references made to

Disable notifications location

${request.disable.notifications.url}

The URL to turn off notifications for the request. As a best practice, we recommend always including this link.

If you're using a 3.2.x version of before, you won't have this option in Service Desk.  But all versions such as 3.3.0 and higher have the ability for you to include this link in all customer outgoing messages.   I'd recommend checking your mail templates for that project to make sure this exists so that users can opt-out of messages on a thread if they wish.

Laura December 2, 2019

Hi Andy @Andy Heinzer , I tried option 1 but this is not working for us, as I have disabled the user with that email address, and the tickets are still coming through.

Do you have any time to look into this with me? I followed the instructions on how to deactivate a user and did exactly that.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2019

Hi Laura,

I am afraid that the answer I wrote above was specifically geared towards Jira Service Desk Server. From looking at your account, I believe that you are actually using the Jira Service Desk Cloud platform instead. The way user accounts are managed in the Cloud platform is considerably different than in Server today.

If that is the case here, then I would want to know more about this specific account in your Cloud site. Cloud offers the ability to have customers be either a Portal-only account OR as an Atlassian account. More on this in the documentation of Cloud: Manage Jira Service Desk customer accounts

I have a suspicion that you might have disabled site access to this account (That would prevent the user from accessing the main Jira site and all non JSD projects), but that doesn't necessarily revoke the portal only aspects that they could still use to create on the customer portal OR via email to a Service Desk project where permitted in Cloud. So I would recommend checking in the Settings-> User Management -> under first Users and then again in Jira Service Desk. If you want to stop this from happening, you will probably need to make sure that this account is deactivated from users and you revoke access from the Jira Service Desk section here.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 2.18.55 PM.png

If this doesn't solve this issue though, you might also consider opening a support request at https://support.atlassian.com/contact It appears that you are a Site-Admin of a Cloud site so you should have the ability to create a support request for this problem there as well.  Either way, please let me know if this helps.

Andy

Laura December 3, 2019

Thank you Andy! I've done that now under both (you're right, I had only done it under "users" previously) and I'll see if that resolves it :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events