Can you change a project type?

kalyan May 21, 2018

like scrum software to service desk : IT service desk

4 answers

1 vote
Beatrix Ducz June 2, 2023
0 votes
Justin Lowery September 15, 2022

This is still a problem in 2022. Creating a new project doesn't work because you also cannot re-use the project key. Now this new project B will bother me and others who use it.

0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2018

Hi @kalyan,

Yes, and the steps is as follows..

1. Go to your project's settings.
  2. Select Details.
  3. In the Project type field, select the type of project you want to change to.
  4. Select Save details.
George Dunlop August 30, 2018

There is no Project type field...

Like # people like this
Agust Thorkelsson September 26, 2018

Ditto this. There is no Project Type field

Like Sergey Lubimov likes this

And I'm the Project Administrator

Like Alfredo Cruz likes this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2018

Hi @George Dunlop@Agust Thorkelsson

Only system administrators can modify this configuration, project administrators cannot make this change.

George Dunlop September 26, 2018

I am a system administrator. Still no option. Also, JIRA keeps coming up with HTTP Status 500 – Internal Server Error errors today.

Thanks Ollie. But I'm the system administrator as well. That's why I don't understand why I don't get the option.

Or is SITE ADMIN not same as system administrator?
2018-09-26_1055.png

Ahh just noticed something. There's an inconsistency going on between project settings based on project template when you initially create the project.

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.01.30.pngScreen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.02.36.png

Yes, this is the same for me. And it's the top one I'm trying to change project type for. With no option.

I ended up starting from scratch creating a project using this link [yourdomain].atlassian.net/secure/ManageRapidViews.jspa which can also create projects with sample data (which is another inconsistency as the sample data cannot be found through the regular create board approach here [yourdomain].atlassian.net/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa). You'll also notice after choosing create a Scrum or Kanban board that you can choose "Board from an existing project". Maybe that would help port it across?

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2018

Yes, Administrators can modify it in Project Details

Val Terebizh July 6, 2020

Not for Next-Gen projects however. 

VT

barronkid October 7, 2021

Here's the instructions I found for next-gen cloud-based conversion of projects:  https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/convert-a-project-to-a-different-template-or-type/ 

Like Chris Sahagun likes this
IBrown_BluePrint December 17, 2021

Years later and the solution is still "make a new project and port the issues". We have guidelines for project and key names and if someone fat fingers the template type they can't delete the old project and make a new one with the same name and key, so now we have a bunch of names with `_2` or `_3` and keys ending in `B` and `C`.

If we can quickly and easily batch move issues, that mechanic can be used internally to change the project type without us doing that.

Michael Frederic October 2, 2023

Coming from JiRA Server, I could change this, but after migrating to the cloud, You cant easily change Project Type. This is unacceptable. 

Like Marlise van Niekerk likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events