Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we create an Insight Object through Jira Service Desk

Mory Soan September 9, 2020

Hello

I want to use a Jira Service Desk form to create an object in Insight.  Today, I can only update an object attribute but not create a new object.

I was wondering if there is way?

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2020

@Mory Soan 

You will create a new custom Insight field that you link to a specific object scheme with or without a filter on it.

This you can display wherever you want (portal or regular issue view)

That is one of the integrations you have with Insight.

Mory Soan September 10, 2020

Thank you @Fahad Siddiqui I do have Insight custom field "Employee" that is link to my "Employee" Object type.  However what I'm trying to achieve is that I want to be able to have a Service Desk form that could have a manager creates new "Employee" with their attributes (address, language, etc) in Insight when they have new employee.

I know that from a Service Desk form, I could update an existing object with Insight custom field, but I want is to create a new object in my Object Type.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Sandra _Mindville_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2020

Hi Mory.

To create an object automatically from a JSD form, you will need to have the object schema and object type created in Insight.

Then you create custom fields for all the attributes you want to be filled in when you create the object.

Next, you set up an Insight post-function for Create object, and map your fields (or custom fields) to the Insight object Schema, Object Type, and Attributes.

Here's an example of the post-function (second option from the bottom when you have selected "Insight post-function":

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 12.58.10.png

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sandra

@Sandra _Mindville_  let me test it out!  Thank you so much!! :-)

@Sandra _Mindville_ it did work.  I have another question, is there a way to add multiple objet within the same Service Desk Form?

For example, add 3 new agents? that would create 3 seperate objets.

Thank you

Sandra _Mindville_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2020

Hi Mory.

This post-function is only for creating a single object. 

Kind regards,

Sandra

Greg February 17, 2021

Hi @Sandra _Mindville_ ,

I am looking to execute the same function (create a new object in Insight when a new Issue is created in Service desk), however I don't see the option you referenced within the Post Functions of Service Management Cloud.

How can I create a new Object (employee) within Insight when a HR Onboarding request is made as referenced here:
How to Automate New Employee Onboarding: Part 1 

Is this not possible in the Cloud version of JSM?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

insightPostFunction.jpg

Like Michaël Monserrat likes this
Björn Gullander
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2021

Hi Greg,

You should use the Automation for Jira to Create/Edit Insight objects from a Jira ticket when you use Insight Cloud. 

Björn

David Harkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2021

Do you create an issue type for each object type that needs updating?

What is the best practice?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events