Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get reporter's display name to print to summary in advanced automation

Suzy Nicholson May 24, 2024

Hello,

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong with my automation?
The only field not printing to the summary of our tickets is the reporter's name.
Basically, we are hoping to update the summary of our Seat Request tickets to show:

Seat Request - SITE: NAME(aka the reporter) - START DATE

The custom fields are showing up fine, but the reporter's name is not printing to the summary so it ends up looking like:
Seat Request - SITE:   - START DATE

NOTE: I have tried both {{issue.reporter.displayName}} and {{reporter.displayName}} and neither works.

image.png

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ash Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2024

Hi @Suzy Nicholson 

If you just populate the reporter field and skip the custom fields, does it display? Looking to try this just as a control to see if it displays on its own or not. 

Let me know the results. 

KR, 

Ash

Suzy Nicholson May 31, 2024

Hey!

I tried that and it just suddenly started working even once I put the other fields back in.
I think it just might have been a glitch with the first test ticket.
Thanks you!

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2024

Hi Suzy,

You don't need the Additional fields/advanced section. Click on the 3 dots next to the Summary field and choose Set to.

Then put this in the blank box:

Seat Request {{issue.customfield_10116}}: {{issue.customfield_10243}} - {{issue.reporter.displayName}} - {{issue.customfield_10078}}

Suzy Nicholson May 31, 2024

I got this automation working because it seems there was just some glitch.
After removing the other fields, and testing it out, the name populated. 
Then after adding the other fields back in, it was still working.

Out of curiosity, I tried your suggestion which worked, which is definitely good to know going forward :)

There was a problem when I initially tried your suggestion, but that was because Jira's auto-generated text kept popping back up when I deleted my text from the Additional Fields, even when I minimized that section. It was throwing error because "Custom Field Name" obviously doesn't exist in my project.
I fixed it by deleting that action box and remaking the Edit Issue action box.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2024

Actually, I also noticed that you were missing a } after the 10243 custom field above in your screenshot. That's probably what was giving you the error. And why it worked when you cleared it out and retyped it back in. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events