Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't assign issues to users

Rachmad Akbar April 17, 2018

I can't assign an issue to other user although I can browse their name. 

I am an administrator of the project.

I set permission to "anyone group" for "assignable user", "assign issues" and "browse projects"

The user only show up after I set the permission to "anyone group"

What should I do? Do they need to login into the system first?

Best,

Rachmad

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2018

Yes, new accounts need to login to Jira at least once before you can assign issues to that user.   The reason is that, you don't want to assign issues in Jira to a user that has never logged into this Jira instance.   From a project management standpoint, it can be a potentially disastrous if Jira allowed this otherwise. Because what if the user is unaware of this Jira instance, or the user doesn't know the exact credentials to login here.   Their issues would go unattended, something that is not a good experience for any project.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2018

Addendum:  Since this is also tagged as Jira Service Desk, there is an additional requirement on Service Desk projects.   In order for your to assign users to issues in a Service Desk project, those users have to be in the role of a Service Desk Agent.  You cannot assign JSD issues to Jira Core or Jira Software only users.  

This means these users have to use a license seat for Jira Service Desk.  This is explained in some more detail in Setting up service desk users.

Like Esa Bisseh likes this
Deleted user April 18, 2018

Thanks @Andy Heinzer,

Learnt something new today! 

TIL: New accounts need to login to JIRA at least once before you can assign issues to that user.

Like Sean Kavaney likes this
Rachmad Akbar April 24, 2018

Thanks @Andy Heinzer. I got the same root cause via permission helper.

Permission Helper.JPG

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 24, 2018

Ah,  Well that screenshot is helpful here.   Since this is a service desk project, there are additional requirements for the users that can be assigned issues as I mentioned above.  

For Service Desk projects, only Service Desk Agents can be assigned those issues.  In order to be a Service Desk Agent, you have to allocate that user a license seat in Service Desk.    See Licensing and application access for details of how to grant this user application access to Jira Service Desk.   In this case, that user would need to be belong to the group in Jira that grants application access to Jira Service Desk.   By default this group name is 'jira-servicedesk-users'  however it is possible it might be a different name, or that there might be multiple groups that grant access to this in your Jira site.

1 vote
Deleted user April 17, 2018

Hi @Rachmad Akbar,

My suggestion would be to set up Project Roles instead of User Groups as you can control user access on a project-by-project basis. 

Set up your permissions to utilise Project Roles instead of groups so new projects can be tailored. 

Hope this helps

Joseph Jutras May 2, 2023

Thanks Andy. The "new accounts need to login to Jira at least once before you can assign issues to that user" is key.

The current error message is, "User x cannot be assigned issues". This is not at all helpful because as an administrator I have no idea why. User x's permissions look correct. A much more useful error message would be, "User x cannot be assigned issues until they have logged in once".

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events